Question on ignition keyed barrels

-

Steve Agrella

Reaction score
Are they different for column shift and floor shift columns.
The reason I ask is because I changed my upper column shift to a floor shift upper, my ignition lock barrel will not stay in place seem like the hole for the barrel detente is in a different location ??
Do I need to purchase a keyed ignition lock barrel for floor shift upper column??

Last edited:
What year is the oe key cylinder? What year is the column parts,?

If the model year of the original column & donor part are the same year, same lock cylinder.

Is the donor collar OE or a repop?

What year is the oe key cylinder? What year is the column parts,?
They are supposed to be 1974, I purchased the parts from someone on this site he told me they are for this year however my key lock barrel does not stay retained, the detent hole are in different locations

I believe the Ignition lock is genuine OE for a 74 original Equipment, the part it goes into looks to have a smaller detent hole further back in the casting

Get clear, close up photos of any date codes.

On parts like this, they may look like a sunburst or a simple bar graph & they will be cast into the part.

Measure the spring loaded pin location on the cylinder accurately, with a dial caliper, then drill a new hole on the right spot.

Did you, by chance, seize this opportunity to add a tilt column, or remove one?

How sure are you that the cyl is inserted all the way?

Photos are sooo helpfull

Alaskan_TA could you PM me I have a question on production number? Please and Thanks

IMHO before I started drilling a new hole I would go to the parts store or online and look at photos

-
Back