Question on Lower Ball Joints for Front Discs

-
Reaction score
Hoping to get a little guidance on lower ball joints for my '72 Swinger. Switching from front drums to discs and I've got a pair of lower ball joints that I believe are from a disc car (73 or 74). There is a tab on the ball joint from the newer car that is definitely different. Can anyone confirm if these are from a front disc car?

PXL_20240130_041305316.jpg

to switch from 72 drums to 73 discs, I think you need ALL the 73up parts;
that is both control arms and spindles.
I said, "I think", lol, cuz I only did this once and it was a loooooooong time ago.

to switch from 72 drums to 73 discs, I think you need ALL the 73up parts;
that is both control arms and spindles.
I said, "I think", lol, cuz I only did this once and it was a loooooooong time ago.
Thanks AJ, yeah I think the spindles might be longer the drums up front, if I remember right. I'm trying to convert without breaking the bank, so hoping to only buy the parts I need. Any recommendations on sourcing just the spindles?

the bump acts as a steering stop. these days some are mfgr'd with them and some without

with the lower ball joint, they all physically bolt up to the LCA but the 73~76 is specific in that the bolts are bigger that secure the joint to the spindle.

the 73~76 joint is also designed slightly different, so depending on what tie rods you're using you may need to shorten or lengthen.

some dedicated cheapskates will drill the balljoints to match the spindle bolts, which is something i'd only consider as a last ditch effort. new joints aren't that expensive and are readily available.

spindles are available new and show up frequently in the classifieds here.

the 73~76 joint is also designed slightly different
The curvature of arm is different. The older style is straight ish and the 73+ is bent inwards.

some dedicated cheapskates will drill the balljoints to match the spindle bolts, which is something i'd only consider as a last ditch effort
I believe the cuban chassis manual has instructions on how to do that

The curvature of arm is different. The older style is straight ish and the 73+ is bent inwards.

I believe the cuban chassis manual has instructions on how to do that
thanks! i always forget if it's the angle of the dangle, or if it's just a length sitch between the two.

have you seen the updated cuban FSM? it has an extensive index on bailing wire diameters and tensile strength of duct tape along with a metric to sae cross threading chart. very handy!

-
Back