Question on powder coated valve covers on Ebay

-

66FormulaS273

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe Leanna can chime in on this. There are a set of 273 Commnado valve covers on Ebay that have been powder coated with wrinkle finish. They look pretty nice but I noticed that one picture looks like they are also powder coated on the underside. What is going to happen to the powder coating from heated oil?

Can you post or PM a link so I can check them out?

I'll coat the edge and a bit of the underside gasket rail just for rust protection so moisture and the elements can't get in between the powder and the substrate metal (it's called "creep" ... and if anything gets in between it's going to cause the powder to delaminate / separate itself from the metal, usually in large sheets).

But coating the entire underside of a part that comprises basically motor internals is just asking for trouble!!! Imagine what will happen if that delamination starts to happen over time ... and pieces of cured powder will be pumping through your motor. YIKES!!!

I gotta see this ... if for no other reason than being surprised that someone else in the country is restoring Commando valve covers. I didn't think anybody else did. :-D

Thanks for thinking of me!!

Can you post or PM a link so I can check them out?

I'll coat the edge and a bit of the underside gasket rail just for rust protection so moisture and the elements can't get in between the powder and the substrate metal (it's called "creep" ... and if anything gets in between it's going to cause the powder to delaminate / separate itself from the metal, usually in large sheets).

But coating the entire underside of a part that comprises basically motor internals is just asking for trouble!!! Imagine what will happen if that delamination starts to happen over time ... and pieces of cured powder will be pumping through your motor. YIKES!!!

I gotta see this ... if for no other reason than being surprised that someone else in the country is restoring Commando valve covers. I didn't think anybody else did. :-D

Thanks for thinking of me!![/QUOTE

Here you go, hope the cut and paste works. Check out the second to the last picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RESTORED-Mo...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8133cf3e&vxp=mtr

Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree with you there -- but none of the pictures are that great either. I asked the seller to add some more close ups, and to confirm whether the insides are coated as well.

As an aside, the bead blasting indicated in the listing actually produces too soft of a finish for powder coating to adhere well and last a long time. The metal needs "tooth" so the powder can basically become part of the metal.

Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree with you there -- but none of the pictures are that great either. I asked the seller to add some more close ups, and to confirm whether the insides are coated as well.

As an aside, the bead blasting indicated in the listing actually produces too soft of a finish for powder coating to adhere well and last a long time. The metal needs "tooth" so the powder can basically become part of the metal.

His other set of aluminum valve covers appear to be coated on the inside too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RES...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e813441c3

FYI, these are correct covers for the 1965 model year, nice covers but wouldn't want mine coated inside either....I would pass on them.

Yeah screw that inside coated crap. Leanna is the only one I would ever trust to do that.....and I wouldn't do it anyway.

Leanna-- see what you have created. This site's expectations of powdered coated product is off the chart. That is a compliment to you & your ethics!!

Looking at those v-covers-- all I can think of is the home powder coating kit that is sold.
I really like the m/t covers where the seller states you can remove the coating off the ribs but he likes the black!!
Lawrence

Yeah screw that inside coated crap. Leanna is the only one I would ever trust to do that.....and I wouldn't do it anyway.

Thanks for your confidence Rob! :-D

Leanna-- see what you have created. This site's expectations of powdered coated product is off the chart. That is a compliment to you & your ethics!!

Looking at those v-covers-- all I can think of is the home powder coating kit that is sold.
I really like the m/t covers where the seller states you can remove the coating off the ribs but he likes the black!!
Lawrence

Lawrence, if what you say is really true then it seems I've accomplished one of my long term goals set at the beginning: to teach the masses what they SHOULD be getting instead of what they usually get. There are literally thousands of coaters these days, seemingly on every corner (thanks to those $100 home powder coating kits you mentioned that are so readily available everywhere). Just like in any other industry, choosing the right -- or wrong -- one proves you get what you pay for.

If you're considering going commando, you have to think about Cudachick.... Gigity, gigity.... :D :D :D :tongue9: =D>

Karl, I wouldn't want it any other way! :love7: I'm honored and proud to have you all on board.

Hey Leanna! Not to hi-jack the thread, but what is an "average" cost of doing black wrinkle on a set of finned small block valve covers? I think the world should know a good quality pricing! 8)

Hey Leanna! Not to hi-jack the thread, but what is an "average" cost of doing black wrinkle on a set of finned small block valve covers? I think the world should know a good quality pricing! 8)

There is no "average" cost but it's the same for everything at my shop, $25 an hour across the board. (I haven't had a rate increase in nearly two years.)

I quote every job individually to be fair to everybody so good close up pictures of any dings / dents / damage / bent or broken fins, etc., will go a long way to ensuring an accurate estimate. I also offer FABO members a 5% discount on the labor and Gold Members enjoy a 10% discount. If your parts arrive clean that will also save you money because you pay me by the hour to clean them too. Send your parts pictures to [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks for asking!

There is no "average" cost but it's the same for everything at my shop, $25 an hour across the board. (I haven't had a rate increase in nearly two years.) I quote every job individually to be fair to everybody so good close up pictures of any dings / dents / damage / bent or broken fins, etc., will go a long way to ensuring an accurate estimate. I also offer FABO members a 5% discount on the labor and Gold Members enjoy a 10% discount. If your parts arrive clean that will also save you money because you pay me by the hour to clean them too. Send your parts pictures to [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for asking!

Thanks for price confirmation for all of us! All hail! :prayer:The Mistress of Metal!

CudaChick1968 These covers are mine. They were left over from a project from many years ago, and I don't have a need for them anymore. I love the work you do by the way! I have had many sets of valve covers powder coated. Yes on the inside as well. I am no expert in powder coating. I have NEVER had a problem at all with any flaking of the inside coating coming off. And I have built many many motors.... In fact I tend to think that it helps the oil travel back to the heads quicker and not build up on the inside of the cover... With that being said. Look at all the junk covers on Ebay. Dented... Fins broken / missing etc. I am asking a fair price for these in relationship to the junk used ones you see on the bay. If they don't sell its NOT a big deal to me. Kewl garage wall art...

CudaChick1968: RE: "As an aside, the bead blasting indicated in the listing actually produces too soft of a finish for powder coating to adhere well and last a long time. The metal needs "tooth" so the powder can basically become part of the metal."

The smooth finish your talking about is true. If you use lite grade soft glass. I use course grade glass/mix.

This type leaves a rough texture to the metal. More than normal glass.

CudaChick1968 These covers are mine. They were left over from a project from many years ago, and I don't have a need for them anymore. I love the work you do by the way! I have had many sets of valve covers powder coated. Yes on the inside as well. I am no expert in powder coating. I have NEVER had a problem at all with any flaking of the inside coating coming off. And I have built many many motors.... In fact I tend to think that it helps the oil travel back to the heads quicker and not build up on the inside of the cover... With that being said. Look at all the junk covers on Ebay. Dented... Fins broken / missing etc. I am asking a fair price for these in relationship to the junk used ones you see on the bay. If they don't sell its NOT a big deal to me. Kewl garage wall art...

Thanks for addressing everyone's concerns, and for the kind words. :-D

The way I see things, if the factory didn't finish the inside of a part then I don't either, especially on my factory-style restorations (which I try to make look as close to original as I can).

With all due respect, if you're intent on coating the insides with something then you might consider investing in a can of Glyptal instead. It's formulated to speed the return of oil to the pan and will never interfere with future engine performance if it's properly applied and cured.

Cosmetic coatings such as the Mopar black wrinkle are beautiful, durable, long lasting and available in literally thousands of colors, but they're not indestructible -- exposure to some automotive chemicals can and will harm it irreparably. I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone use it on the inside of valve covers.

Good luck with your auctions, and thanks for helping to preserve some Mopar history in your own way. :-D

-
Back