Votes: 2 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

RedFish

Reaction score
OK guys and gals... I have successfully backlighted all the text on the rally instrument bezel. The first 3 hand made prototypes are in the field testers possession. When those owners will remove their instrument panel to install the backlighting kit is still unknown.
IF I proceed in making this available to any one who wants it I will need to have custom components produced.
Using quotes I have from the various mfgrs for calculations I've determined approx' retail price of the complete kit will be somewhere between 80 and 90 USD. I'll need to sell approx' 80 of the first 100 produced just recoup my investment. Sales of the remaining 20 would fund the completion of a similar kit for those bezels with factory a/c controls.

So my question is... Would you spend as much as 90 dollars and the majority of a day in labor to have all the little text on this instrument bezel light up when you pull the park lights on ?

To answer some of the questions before they are asked..
Electrical modification is not required.
The light source employed is same advanced fiber optic technology used in todays robotic surgery.
Color of the light is your choice.
Although modifying the plastic bezel is required, stripping, re painting, re chroming, are not required since everything you would remove is replaced with inserts contained in the kit.

Polling results here will determine do I proceed or not. I'm not a vendor. I'm not here to make a profit off anyone. Happy moparing is my only goal.
I believe I've proven that already. I've also learned what gets my happy moparing isn't the same for everyone.

Sounds very cool, is there a thread I missed on this? Would love to see it. I have a 70 340 Swinger to restore but it will be stock, so I would stick with what I have. I think its awesome you are taking the time to do this and I am sure some members will be interested for sure! :glasses7:

Sounds very cool, is there a thread I missed on this? Would love to see it. I have a 70 340 Swinger to restore but it will be stock, so I would stick with what I have. I think its awesome you are taking the time to do this and I am sure some members will be interested for sure! :glasses7:

Yeah I didn't mention I have nearly 3 years and a bucket of bucks in this project.

I figure Wong the Chinaman wants to see it too so he can produce it.
They cant repop what the don't have examples of. LOL

Using the same OEM lighting means it lights the same and looks OEM.
One could change to high powered LEDs and light it up like a carnival if they choose to.
My goal was to give this A-body panel what so many other models had.
Their having only the a/c push buttons backlighted seemed sort of stooped to me.
I only completed the non a/c panel first because they are more common.
I guess I'll go ahead and add this... Thousands of standard instrument panels have the same size frame around LIGHTS, WIPERS, and HAZARD where equipped but... Every one of those climate control layouts are different. I wont peruse any of those.

Oh well. Wife will be glad to hear that I wont be lighting up our visa card for this. Happy moparing.

-
Back