Question

-

74TexasDuster

Reaction score
What is the standard tranny that came in the 74 duster 318? Do i need to change gears if i change, cam, intake, carb and so on?

I'm pretty sure it was a 904.........Could be wrong though...........I'm sure someone will chime in with the chart..these guys are pretty sharp.

I did the cam and intake and so forth on a 72 318, and changing the gears out to 3.55's really made the car come alive....the speedo was about 10 mph off at 50....It's gonna guzzle though..........but lots of fun.

If your car has 3.23's in it now, I don't think you will have to change the gears necessarily..........If you want to drive it more, I'd leave them in.......driving less with more fun in your foot, lower them a little.

Our '74 Duster came with a 904 transmission and a 2.45 (that's right) 8 1/4 single side rear end. I couldn't imagine matching the low comp teen with those highway gears but that was the set up and it ran surprisingly well. She now has 3.90s and a sure grip in the 8 1/4. Someday I will find out how that will run but for the time being its just parts everywhere for the rest of the car.

Actually the standard transmission (no options) was a 3 speed manual on the column. Anything else (auto, floor shift manual) was an option.

Actually the standard transmission (no options) was a 3 speed manual on the column. Anything else (auto, floor shift manual) was an option.

In 74 ? I have never seen a 70 anything with a manual trans on the column. I have seen a 67 Barracuda with it and I had a 65 Dart /6 manual on the column.

Back in the 80's,I had both a 72 satalite and a 71 fury with three on the tree shifting.both were real base cars.

Adam: I just happen to have a couple of those that you have never seen out here in the "Field of Dreams" By the way. Keep your eye on the mail this next week.

-
Back