Questions about HID lighting systems

-

jeryst

Reaction score
I've been looking at HID headlight conversion systems, but am a little confused.

THey claim the HID bulbs are three times brighter than halogen. In PA, I think the headlights are not allowed to put out any more than 55-65 watts on high beam, so do HID systems actually put out more wattage, do they just appear brighter because of the color of the light, or is it all just hype?

Like looking at halogen headlight bulbs, they all claim to be the brightest available, yet they are all rated for the same wattage on the package.

Confused.

Llight output is measured in lumens. Different lights will put out the same wattage but have different levels of brightness(luminosity). Either way, install relays. Even relays on stock bulbs will make them alot brighter.

I use the sealed beam Halogen that Bosch and others make. Simply install in place of your old unit's and done.

Maybe upgrade the alt to a 100 amp and back it up with a good voltage regulator

HID seems like a lot of work.

IMO, just upgrading to relays for the lights, and running thicker than stock wire is a great start. I run the Hella euro conversion headlamps and are verry bright to me. Also, if you still run an ammeter, get your power from the alt, not the battery.

I've had some experience with HID lights used primarily underwater.

They WILL burn you if you use them out of the water for a very short time.

Bright as hell though, let me know when you get them, I would be interested to see the heat shield/heat proofing.

The newest/most expensive lights now are the LED, only been out a short time, bleeding edge stuff for UW video.
Oh, LED's stay coooooooooool.......

LCjeff

Couple of min. on Google and it looks like these would work

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...10001&storeId=10001&productId=64057&langId=-1

I run the Sylvania Silver stars in my Dart and I love them!

I think that anyone running super bright or blue tinted headlights should have their headlights smashed with a baseball bat! They are unsafe for the oncoming drivers. Those and people with one bright and one dim light, it isn't hard to fix people!

-
Back