Questions for 8 3/4 swap

-

OriginalDart

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm just about to swap an a-body 8 3/4 into my 69 dart. I just picked up new u-joints, shocks, and u-bolts. I've tried to do some research on the internet for full details on the swap but haven't had much luck.

Without having taken measurements I'm curious if it will bolt right in?
Here are my main questions:
Do I need to shorten my drive shaft?
Do I need to relocate my spring plates?

Here is another question I have about the rear end:
I've heard good things about floating axles, are there any good kits for the 8 3/4?

Thank you for your help

if you are replacing a 7 1/4" with an 8 3/4"
you will need to have the driveshaft shortened
and you will need the larger shock plates and U-bolts

Thanks a lot! Very good thing to know.
Where can I get the larger shock plates?
Is that a junk yard trip or call my local parts store?

they can be found with a bit of effort
all 8-3/4 and 8-1/4 cars used them
trucks often used two identical plates left and right
with one shock facing forward and one shock facing back
this makes finding one side easier than the other for use in a car
(cant remember which side though)
the going price is around $50- $60 a pair used

it is also possible to re drill your 7-1/4 plates to work
not as strong but it has been done with success many times

Where exactly are you in cali.. I no you can find some local in the pick a parts I have about three near by me where I live and that's where I found my set 5$ each.

An a body rear will swap right in but you will have to shorten your ds if you live near me I can direct you to a place I got mine shortened it was like 70$

Mancini sells new shock plates and u-bolts reasonable.

Still go to Blonde's and the flea market is at the old drive-in off 880 now! Cool so I'll hit the local pick'n'pulls...silly question but how do I identify the right size plates? I am but a learner

We are doing a simular swap soon and we have an oppurtunity to have a drive shaft made up for us at a fantastic deal right now. does any body know the exact measurements of the drive shaft that would fit ?

We have a 904 tranny behind a 360 with a 8 1/4 rear end in it now

I have been dealing with a drive shaft place here in Orange County for the last year and they have built and balanced over 1400 drive shafts for the Uhaul trucks . They will cut me a pretty good deal on a new one for the Duster

We are putting in a 8 3/4 rear end in in the next few months but would like to have a drive shaft built for it now while the offer is still good.

Bob / Bryce

I believe the when switching from a 7-1/4" rear to an 8-1/4" rear the driveshaft need's to be shortened 1.6"
it is always better to measure the length needed with the rear in the car, as you can get a better fit that way

Im going from a 8 1/4 to a 8 3/4 and waiting untill i get the rear end in is not an option if I want to get a super deal. Has any body done this swap that can give me measurements,

Thanks, Bob

8-1/4" rear to 8-3/4" rear, driveshaft is .66" shorter

if you have a lot of free play at the tail shaft it MAY fit as is
every car is different though

Are the ujoints the same,i was told that i would need a whole new driveshaft. But if its just roughly 3/4 0f an inch maybe i could use mine.

Thanks, bob

-
Back