questions for the engine builders

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have read a few articles that talk about adding a small dab of silicone around the water ports before installing head gaskets. Does anyone do this? I've always thought that the newer gaskets just go on dry. Does anyone use any other type of spray or sealant to help the head gaskets seal? It just seems to me that when I pull apart an engine that hasn't had the heads off before that there is a fair amount of gasket material stuck to the surfaces. But when I pull apart an engine that has had the heads off the gaskets don't seem to have adhered themselves to the block or heads as well.

No, don't do it, If its a steel shim gasket, then either spray over with copper coat or silver paint both sides, if its composition then leave it be, just clean the surfaces real well (either gasket you use) and bolt them down, torque them in 3 cycles, start at 25 lbs, then 45 lb, then final lbs.

No, don't do it, If its a steel shim gasket, then either spray over with copper coat or silver paint both sides, if its composition then leave it be, just clean the surfaces real well (either gasket you use) and bolt them down, torque them in 3 cycles, start at 25 lbs, then 45 lb, then final lbs.
yep x2 is what I do.......Artie

thanks guys. That's what I thought too and that's what I have always done. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

-
Back