Questions regarding IMM Indy MAX heads.

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I am wanting to get a set of the Indy MAX, Magnum type heads with hydraulic roller beehive springs from Brian at IMM. The special he advertises. I want them because they seem to be a good deal and they can support upgrades in the future.

But with all the other stuff going on I really cant afford a top end along with a stroker build (future upgrade, but way down the road). So what I plan is a basic rebuild on a magnum 360, if necessary and install the heads along with a magnum specific performer RPM intake, holley vac secondary carb, TTI Step headers, custom grind cam and custom torque convertor. The rest of the car is listed in my sig.

I am somewhat concerned about the heads being too big for the 3.23 gears.

Will the heads be too big and kill low end?

Also, can the MAX heads be drilled to accept both styles of intakes?

I am wanting to get a set of the Indy MAX, Magnum type heads with hydraulic roller beehive springs from Brian at IMM. The special he advertises. I want them because they seem to be a good deal and they can support upgrades in the future.

But with all the other stuff going on I really cant afford a top end along with a stroker build (future upgrade, but way down the road). So what I plan is a basic rebuild on a magnum 360, if necessary and install the heads along with a magnum specific performer RPM intake, holley vac secondary carb, TTI Step headers, custom grind cam and custom torque convertor. The rest of the car is listed in my sig.

Hello there, I will start by saying I have no experience personally using those heads.

If I read your post and understood correctly, you are looking to build a performance engine in stages due to budget constraints. I completely understand the budget thing and the struggle to find money for like to have projects.

If I may make a suggestion, build a really good shortblock first, then get the better heads down the road. While factory heads certainly will limit the potential of the engine initially, a head swap down the road as budget allows will be a piece of cake.

I have found other members on this site to be excellent resources for great parts at fantastic prices.

Just my opinion, best of luck with your project.

No. They're great heads for low end torque. They'll work great on a 360. They come in both the magnum and LA style intake bolts but not both

I run this site on my phone and the car details in the signature don't show up but, more importantly, I don't think the questions asked can be accurately answered without knowing the condition of the engine you are starting with and the intended end result you are looking for. Knowing the intended use at the end of all the upgrades may actually change the suggestions for which parts to get first. Also getting the heads first with appropriate matching parts could give you as much power as you'd want on the street on the cheap. I do like the idea of making big power at lower rpm with a stroker for a strong street engine, but IMM just did a magazine feature showing something like 450hp and I think 490lb-ft of torque with stock stroke factory crankshaft. Not at all trying to be negative, but I am curious about the intended use.

The heads won't hurt anything, they'll help.
But I would stroke before buying heads, especially with 3.23 gears.

These look like EQ castings. If that is the case, they are a great upgrade for anything from a 318 to a 408 stroker. They have great port velocity, and make very good power. I have known Brian of IMM for years, and had him set me up with a combination of parts for a 408 stroker. I basically did the same work to a set of EQ 318b heads here in Minnesota, and had Brian pick out the cam, valvetrain, carb and headers. The motor made 504 hp on pumpgas, with an Airgap intake and 10/1 compression. Obviously I am very happy with the results. I spent about the same to have my heads done locally, so the price is right. Your best bet is to call him and get advice there. He won't steer you wrong.
Check out my thread "another 408 build"

-
Back