quick fuel float sticking

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on why the rear float is sticking down on a brand new OOTB quick fuel Q 1050? On initial startup, (filling the fuel system and bowls), The rear float stuck open, (down), pouring fuel into the intake. I pulled the bowl apart everything looked ok, reassembled, drained and refilled the crankcase and things ran fine. While looking into some electrical issues, i let the pump die in turn running the carb out of fuel. after re-energizing the pump the float stuck down for the second time. again, pulled things apart and everything looks ok. The rear float is made of some kind of plastic (actually says Holley on it). Looks to me that it may be hanging up on the rear jets.

Does it have secondary jet extensions? If so the float needs to be the "notched" type so it clears the jets. Maybe they put in the wrong float. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

Does it have secondary jet extensions? If so the float needs to be the "notched" type so it clears the jets. Maybe they put in the wrong float. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?
yes it has jet extensions, and yes, i called quick fuel yesterday and told them about my problem. There response was #1 fuel pressure. I am running an OOTB Holley blue pump and regulator. I tried to explain to them that the float only seems to stick when the float has hit the bottom of the bowl, but he kept going back to pressure. I will admit that the pressure seems to be unstable at best. On start up it seems to be good at 5-6 lbs, but falls off after the engine runs for a few minutes. I have read some bad things about the Holley regulators. No doubt about it, the float is sticking down, and (i think) is hanging up on the jets. The carb has a brass front float, but has a Holley black plastic looking float in the rear. i was told that float is correct and is notched for the jet extensions. Quick fuel did tell me they would do what it takes to solve the problem , but i can see the final word will be that its a pressure or level problem and not a carb issue.

I've had a lot of problems with the cheap Holley regulators too. Out of 3 I only found one good one. But by your description it does sound like it's hanging up when it goes low. A lot of tech lines are nearly worthless. They always try to blame the consumer so as to not have re-work. If the float is indeed notched for the jet extensions (inspect it to make sure it's correct no matter what they say) I can't think of anything that it'd hang up on. I've worked on Holley's for nearly 30 yrs. and never had one do that. My only suggestion is to take it back apart again and study it real close to find what it's hanging up on. Could be they didn't assemble the float spring correctly and that's what it's hanging on.

The floats are nitrophyl, a type of plastic. I would look at the hinged area by the needle and seat to check for any reason it would hang up, as well as check to see if it does touch the jet extensions.

I've had a lot of problems with the cheap Holley regulators too. Out of 3 I only found one good one. But by your description it does sound like it's hanging up when it goes low. A lot of tech lines are nearly worthless. They always try to blame the consumer so as to not have re-work. If the float is indeed notched for the jet extensions (inspect it to make sure it's correct no matter what they say) I can't think of anything that it'd hang up on. I've worked on Holley's for nearly 30 yrs. and never had one do that. My only suggestion is to take it back apart again and study it real close to find what it's hanging up on. Could be they didn't assemble the float spring correctly and that's what it's hanging on.
ill pull it apart tonight and check it over close. How is the float spring suppose to operate? the plastic float actually says Holley on it. i was told the brass floats cant be used with jet extensions, and the plastic is not as bouyant. could it be a sharp edge on the float extension is catching the plastic float? i thought about maybe taking an emery cloth to the extensions

True, brass floats do not have the notches for jet extensions. I have never had a problem with the plastic ones(nitrophyl). I have had brass ones develop a tiny hole by the soldered seam and slowly sink.

well i pulled the bowl apart again last night, and looked everything over close. The only things that looked suspicious were the float itself had marks in the notch area where it obviously was contacting the jets and extensions, and the spring, didnt seem to be doing anything at all. i assume the spring is suppose to help the float raise in the fuel? I used a very fine file and cleaned any sharp edgs off the jets and extensions, also took 600 grit sand paper and took the marks out of the float. and finally put a little tension into the spring to help the float. Next will be to set the float levels and pressure.

-
Back