Quick Manum 5.9 swap quetsion: STARTER

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Forging ahead with my Magnum swap after a delay... :blob:

According to www.Magnumswap.com, they suggest a mini starter due to clearance issues with the exhaust.

Does this only apply to headers? I'm running the stock manifolds off of my 318 at least for now...

Any other reason I shouldn't/couldn't use my stock LA 318 starter?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a good mini starter that would work?
Probably irrelevant but I'm sticking with the stock/built 904 (if that makes a difference....)

Thanks a million for any input!
-Mike

You can use the stock starter with no worries. Headers are a different story. Their up keep is enough to drive you mad, and you have to drop serious coin on ones that fit with no dicking around. If I were you, I'd stay with those manifolds, I wish I would have had a set. I have an article that is a 'shootout' between all the exhaust options on a mild build, and the difference is negligible:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/..._0307_mopar_crate_engine_exhaust/viewall.html

When you do want to swap; Mini-starter all the way, they are nice, roll down to your pick-n-pull and grab one off a Dakota 3.9 or 5.2. Don't worry about it being used, they never go out. Make sure it says 'Nippondenso' on it. It's lighter, smaller, stronger, pulls less amperage, and you can enjoy something modern.

You can use the stock starter with no worries. Headers are a different story. Their up keep is enough to drive you mad, and you have to drop serious coin on ones that fit with no dicking around. If I were you, I'd stay with those manifolds, I wish I would have had a set. I have an article that is a 'shootout' between all the exhaust options on a mild build, and the difference is negligible:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/..._0307_mopar_crate_engine_exhaust/viewall.html

When you do want to swap; Mini-starter all the way, they are nice, roll down to your pick-n-pull and grab one off a Dakota 3.9 or 5.2. Don't worry about it being used, they never go out. Make sure it says 'Nippondenso' on it. It's lighter, smaller, stronger, pulls less amperage, and you can enjoy something modern.

:prayer:

Thanks once again, Poison Dart!! This is all great info and very good news.

Thanks for asking this question. And thanks for the answer... I was wondering this exact same thing on my Magnum swap.

-
Back