Quick Q on Radiator Overflow Bottle

-

vames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi. I think I know the answer to this but I wanna check it with the crowd. I got this cool aluminum bottle that I'm going to use as a radiator overflow bottle. It has a nipple on the side of the bottom (straight through the wall - no tube inside). The cap has a rubber seal. I think I should drill a 1/8" hole through the cap to allow air to escape as coolant moves in. Does this sound right?

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

I'm replacing this beautiful temporary solution that has been in operation for the past 20+ years (yes the tube goes through the cap and down to the bottom).

IMG_2079.jpg

The cap has a rubber seal. I think I should drill a 1/8" hole through the cap to allow air to escape as coolant moves in. Does this sound right
Yes, you need a way for the fluid to displace air.

With the cap on, if you blow into the tube does it pressurize?

My dad used a 1/2 gallon orange juice jug as an over flow. It was on there for 3-4 decades.

I do not use an overflow, I just fill the radiator per the FSM have not spilled a drop in years.

With the cap on, if you blow into the tube does it pressurize?
Yeah it does pressurize. I think I'm just going to drill a small hole in the top.

The neck of my radiator has the nipple for an overflow and I'd hate to have coolant blow out freely if it decided to. So I'm going to install this thing.

I drilled a 1/16” hole in the cap and put it in. It wedges perfectly between the battery tray and the radiator.

B0C5893B-9479-471C-AC9C-AF9B2375A77F.jpeg

-
Back