Quick question about the block

-

GrrageCat

Reaction score
So, been doing some refreshing on the Dart to get her back on the road. Been a few years as things have come up. While checking out the driver side of the block, I noticed a hole that had some fluid in it. Is this normal? What is that for? Pictures attached. Also, noticed a nice crack in the exhaust manifold. I have a supersix intake I want to put on soon so now thinking of going with some headers since this exhaust mani might not be salvaged. I do have a mig welder, any tips on welding that cast iron?
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.51.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.51.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.51.11 AM.png

I don't see a hole with fluid on it. There's no hope for the manifold.

The boss with the two ‘holes’ in it is the location where a bracket for a power steering pump would mount. The top hole looks to have a bolt broke off in it or a plug of some kind in it. The lower bolt hole shows some threads, but also a lot of debris in the hole.
Neither of those two bolt holes are through holes, like some of the water pump bolt holes or the exhaust manifold stud holes.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping perhaps I could get a Dutra front and cut this manifold in half and do the suggested plate welded to it. I think the crack might be too far across tho. Do what this is on the slant block? There is a hole here that doesn't seem like it should be there. I might just be worried about nothing here.
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 3.43.40 PM.png

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping perhaps I could get a Dutra front and cut this manifold in half and do the suggested plate welded to it. I think the crack might be too far across tho. Do what this is on the slant block? There is a hole here that doesn't seem like it should be there. I might just be worried about nothing here.
View attachment 1715706063
See my post above.

There are three holes there. One has a broken off bolt in it, one is empty and one has a bolt in it. None of these holes go into the water jacket, and you can safely remove the bolt in the upper right hole unless some yahoo drilled into the water jacket some time in the last 50 years.

-
Back