quick question about upper control arms

-

fez440

Reaction score
the upper control arms have 1 Bushing Sleeve on side. how important are these? they dont seem to do anything to me. i dont have mine. can i just go without them?

Attachments

• product_thumb2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 275
Yes they came on some upper control arms from the factory and were only on one bushing per side. I usually do not put them back on. But if your new bushings are not very tight in the control arm when you replace the bushings then yes I reinstall them to make sure the bushing stays put.

BB cars with disc brakes have them on the inside of the bushing on the rear side only!

The factory put them on for a reason.

Why I am not sure but look at the service manual for 1969 and you will find them on BB KH disc cars.

Mine has them and I Re-Installed them when I did the Suspension rebuild.

I've found them on Disc Brake 340 cars also. I don't know if they only used them on certain models or not. The upper arms just took off of a 72 340 Duster had them.

i had only one out of 4 and i left it off when i replaced the bushings.
maybe i should have re-installed it.

ok thanks for the info. personally i dont see what they could do. they just sit in there. they are shorther then the bushing so i dont see how it supports anything. i new bushing are really tight so im thinking its going to be fine. if they put them on the 1 side why not the other? :S

Usually the only time I reinstalled them is when the new bushing is not as tight in the arm as I would like.

They were reinforcement on Heavy Duty Suspensions. In real life, I'm not sure how much they help. Probably more on a handling car.

This too has been a task. I did not reaize they were installed. I had only one out of the 4
uca bushings. I kept pressing it and when it did not budge I used a micrometer and saw that it was a sleeve. The problem is that I am putting power disc brakes from a 69 cuda donor car on a 69 dart convertible. The question is if I decide to use it should i put sleeves on all 4 bushings? If so where can I buy them?
Thanks in advance

You do realize this thread is a year old don't you? But you can leave them off with no problem.

-
Back