Quick Question..

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just got my dash, cluster, steering column, wiring, etc. all finished up.
Engine not installed yet.
Is there an issue with putting a battery in to check lights, horn, wiper and heater blower motors...? Is there anything special I need to do or look out for..?
TIA..!

Just got my dash, cluster, steering column, wiring, etc. all finished up.
Engine not installed yet.
Is there an issue with putting a battery in to check lights, horn, wiper and heater blower motors...? Is there anything special I need to do or look out for..?
TIA..!
I have ALWAYS done that, but I do it after the engine is in and wired. The time to find out you have an electrical gremlin is now, not when you start the engine for the first time. I put in the battery and test everything; all lights, instruments, turn signals, horn, heater/AC fan, etc. If there is a problem, fix it now. You could have a wiring problem that could cause a smoldering wire or fire. Very unlikely I admit, but check it now. Do you know how to test your instruments? You'll want to know for sure your oil pressure and temp gauges are working BEFORE you start the engine. When you do these electrical tests (and when you start the engine for the first time), HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY!!!!

I have ALWAYS done that. The time to find out you have an electrical gremlin is now, not when you start the engine for the first time. I put in the battery and test everything; all lights, instruments, turn signals, horn, heater/AC fan, etc. If there is a problem, fix it now. You could have a wiring problem that could cause a smoldering wire or fire. Very unlikely I admit, but check it now. Do you know how to test your instruments? You'll want to know for sure your oil pressure and temp gauges are working BEFORE you start the engine. When you do these electrical tests (and when you start the engine for the first time), HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY!!!!
Thanks for the response..!
I do not know how to test the instruments.

Put in a cutoff switch on the negative side of the battery before you even attach it so if you have to disconnect the power quick you can do it with a flick

Make sure the thick starter cable lug is not resting against metal....
I don't see the need for a cut off switch. Momentarily connect the remaining battery terminal by touching it to the terminal. If all good, proceed.

The gauge cluster MUST be grounded.
When you say grounded.....There's a black and red that attachto the back of the cluster with nuts.. That black one ground it..? Or is there something else..?

That Black wire is NOT GROUND ! It's the feed from your alternator to the amp meter.

Ground comes from screwing your cluster into place on the dash frame. When testing, if it's not mounted, you need to use a jumper wire from body ground to the cluster ground.

When you say grounded.....There's a black and red that attachto the back of the cluster with nuts.. That black one ground it..? Or is there something else..?
NO NO NO those are both live to the Ammeter.

Sorry, I replied so fast after reading that I missed @dadsbee 's posting.

Last edited:
Spend some time with the wiring diagram.....I mapped out my bulkhead connector and tested everything on the bench with the dash assembled. Power in and power out with a test light. Yes, cluster has to grounded to the dash frame, and the dash frame to the body (or - battery if testing on the bench)

..There's a black and red that attachto the back of the cluster with nuts.. That black one ground it
No, the black is not ground it is either alternator output to the ammeter or it is battery to the ammeter the red is the opposite.

Ground would be any metal on the dash but not the traces on the gauge cluster

The temp, oil pressure and gas gauges in many of our old Mopars work by allowing current to flow through gauge into the sending unit (which does NOT send anything) into a ground. Technically the 'sending unit' is just a switch that allows current to flow to a ground, but I'll call it a sending unit since everybody else does. I cannot speak for older A Bodies (pre 67), but I am familiar with 67-early 70s. Here is how the temp gauge works on my 69 Barracuda with ralley dash (and gas and oil pressure are pretty much the same):
Power, in the form of 5.5 volts DC, flows from the Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) into one of the two pegs on the back of the temp gauge. On my car the IVR is inside the gas gauge. The current then flows through the bi-metal coil attached to the needle then to the other peg on the back of the temp gauge. Then a single wire goes to the temp gauge sending unit that is screwed into the engine (or intake manifold). The temp gauge sending unit is actually a resistor switch that allows varying amounts of current to flow through it depending on the sensed engine temperature. That is how the temp gauge is wired; now let's look at how it works.

While the ignition switch is in the ON position, the 5.5 V current mentioned above will always be flowing through the gauge to the sending unit to the temp sending unit. If the engine is cold, the resistor in the sending unit will allow NO current to flow through it to the grounded engine. Since the current stops at the temp gauge sending unit, that means there is not a completed circuit, which means current will not be flowing through the bi-metal coil in the temp gauge. That means the coil will not heat up, and it will not rotate and move the temp needle. As the engine starts to warm up, the resistor in the temp gauge sending unit will gradually start letting current flow through the temp gauge sending unit to the grounded engine (a complete circuit). The warmer the engine gets, the more current will flow through the temp gauge sending unit. As current flows through the entire temp gauge circuit, the bi-metal coil heats up, rotates and causes the needle to move. More engine heat means more current flowing through the temp gauge sending unit which means more current flowing through the bi-metal coil, which means the coil will get warmer, which means it will move more, which means the needle will move more towards the "H". If the engine overheats, the resistor in the temp gauge sending unit will open all the way allowing the full 5.5 volts to flow through it and the temp gauge will peg to full Hot.

So how do we test the temp gauge? If the gauge is not installed, or if the instrument panel is not installed in the car, all you need to do is place two 1.5 volt batteries end to end so as to get 3.0 volts. Then run a wire from the negative side of the batteries to one of the posts on the back of the temp gauge and a wire from the positive side of the batteries to the other post. 3.0 volts is about half of 5.5 volts, so the needle should go to about halfway. If you get no movement, change the wires around.

If the instrument panel is installed in the car it is almost as simple as taking the wire off of the temp gauge sending unit and touching it the grounded engine with the ignition switch on. HOWEVER I do recommend taking The following precaution. I was assured by a man who repairs gauges that temporary direct grounding to test a gauge will not damage it, but he suggested taking a precaution when testing at home. You have seen those circuit testers that look like a small screwdriver with a light in the handle, right? The filament in the bulb in the handle is very thin and will not allow a lot of current to flow through it. So have an assistant sit in the car and turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Then take the wire off of the temp gauge sending unit. Then attach the wire coming from the top of the 'light in the handle tester' to the wire you just pulled off of the temp gauge sending unit and then touch the pointed metal tip of the 'light in the handle tester' to the engine, thereby completing the circuit and allowing current to flow through the gauge. The light bulb filament will allow enough current to flow through it to operate the gauge, but not enough to damage the gauge. Your assistant should see the gauge gradually move up. Once you have seen the needle move about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way, stop the test. There is no need, in my opinion, to peg the gauge all the way to the "H". I have tested a lot of gauges this way.

The gas and oil pressure gauges work similarly and are tested similarly.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
No dash lights... headlights / taillights work, but the left blinker dash light comes on solid when headlight switch is on. Wiper motor works, but nothing from blower motor.. If I had a barn I'd push it behind it and shoot....then me... Ugh...someone told me this project car thing would be easy...lol

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
No dash lights... headlights / taillights work, but the left blinker dash light comes on solid when headlight switch is on. Wiper motor works, but nothing from blower motor.. If I had a barn I'd push it behind it and shoot....then me... Ugh...someone told me this project car thing would be easy...lol
Don't lose faith brother. Make sure all of your grounds are good, then start tracing power.

Have you got this one in place for the blower motor?

IMG_2084.JPG

I guess it's just intimidating because I know zilch on how to trace these issues..
Get a wiring diagram, and follow each circuit like a road map. Every circuit starts at power (+) and ends at ground (-) with switches and loads along the way.

Electrical theory can be a challenge for those who have not studied it....& sometimes for those that have!!!!!

If you hear a noise in the engine, oil leaking on the ground, smoke coming out of a breather, you can see, hear, feel the problem.

But electricity works in silent ways. Some 'imagination' is reqd to visualise what the electricity is doing....

You are nearly always looking at a result, the finish. The challenge is to start at the finish & work backwards to the start....

Electrical works much like plumbing.

The pressure in the pipe is voltage.

A restriction in the pipe is resistance.

The speed of the flow of water is the current.

-
Back