quick subframe connectors question

-
Lots of ways to do it. I didn't step down on the plate, but then there is a lap edge that the heat can be directed to. Probably the larger plate to spread the load is the more important factor. I'm no expert ;)

I did some scrounging around the garage and found some steel from an old ballhoop, so I used that for the wrap around thingy

Took a little of finaggling with the old hammer but they are in.
Keep in mind, I'm not a welder, and I used a fluxcore to do it but I'm sure they won't fall out

Now I just need to hit it with a wire wheel and some paint

Thanks for all the help guys

20200424_165047.jpg

20200424_165051.jpg

20200424_165056.jpg

20200424_165117.jpg

20200424_165124.jpg

20200424_165145.jpg

20200424_165150.jpg

looks like nice work!
Was gonna suggest if you don't have a lot of practice plug welding you should do some tests first, and make the holes bigger than you think.

took the duster to church this morning, first real ride since i got the connectors in

not sure how to explain it...but before the connectors this is how it felt like cornering

Unless you're welding to the floor board you're just adding a long flexible bar under your car. The point of subframe connectors is to stiffen the chassis, not to just add some more weight.

Unless you're welding to the floor board you're just adding a long flexible bar under your car. The point of subframe connectors is to stiffen the chassis, not to just add some more weight.
.085 wall 2x3 laying flat made a huge difference.
Not just adding weight.

.085 wall 2x3 laying flat made a huge difference.
Not just adding weight.
Yeah that makes a difference, but it still has some flex, I guess it depends on what kind of power the car makes too.
I seen a guy who built a challenger welded in 1 inch square stock. I asked what is that for, he said it's a "subframe connector" . It had atleast an inch of side to side. I showed him and said no it's not & he laughed.

Yeah that makes a difference, but it still has some flex, I guess it depends on what kind of power the car makes too.
I seen a guy who built a challenger welded in 1 inch square stock. I asked what is that for, he said it's a "subframe connector" . It had atleast an inch of side to side. I showed him and said no it's not & he laughed.
Yep I agree.
I wouldn’t even bother with 1x1 square.

-
Back