quiestion about a stock hood with rpm airgap?

-

mattsmopars

Reaction score
I am trying to finish up my engine in the duster, and its getting closer to time to put the hood on. I was wanting to run a stock hood with factory dual scoops. Well here is my question... I have a 340 with a Eddy RPM air gap intake and a holley dp carb, and I want to run the stock 72 340 aircleaner. Am i going to be able to with a stock hood and it not hit the hood? Is anyone out there running a stock hood on this set up? Guess if I can't I my have to get a AAR fiberglass 6 pack hood. Please let me know what you think, and thanks for the replies.
Matt

This is my stock 72 340 air cleaner. So unless I am missing something i don't think a drop base is going to help me as long as i keep the stock air cleaner.
Matt

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

Correctamundo. The drop base is the base of an aftermarket air cleaner, not a stock one like yours. I think he's saying your ok stock, but can run a 3'' filter if you go aftermarket drop base.

No, I just figured it would`nt fit. Matt your there looking at it we`re not. Unless someone is running this setup, and no one has spoken up yet. mount hood and test. One way is to run a trouble light under car to shine at top of cleaner and slowly close hood. Lay on creeper with a telescopic mirror to see whats going on. front of breather will be closest to contact than the rest. Trick #2. modeling clay or even playdough. Form pillers and slowly close hood to test clearence. Thats all I got:read2:

mopar stuff 002.jpg

mopar stuff 005.jpg

Edelbrock gives the dimensions of the RPM Air -Gap. Measure the stock intake and compare. Important... A/B Measurements
CHECKING FOR HOOD CLEARANCE
1x10.gif

To ensure adequate hood clearance, check the height of your stock manifold and compare the "A" and "B" measurements against those of the Edelbrock manifold prior to purchase. The heights of all Edelbrock manifolds are listed under "Installation Notes" for each model in the intake manifold section of this catalog.
1x10.gif

Please Note: To figure carburetor pad height, add dimensions "A" + "B" and divide by 2.
1x10.gif

For example, Performer manifold #2101:
(A) 3.5" + (B) 4.6" ÷ 2 = 4.05" The difference in mounting height of the air cleaner( if any) between whatever carb came under that cleaner and the carb you have now will need to be accounted for too. Then you'll know what's up before you put the hood on. Good Luck

The RPM Air-Gap is 4.9" on the(A) front and 5.8" high on the(B) back of the carb mounting flange. Just measure the stock one. I don't have one handy or I'd measure it for you.Good Luck

Thanks for all the replies fellows. I honestly appreciate it. My problem is that I don't have a stock hood to put on it. The hood that was on the car has a hole cut out and a big scoop on the hood. That is not what I am wanting to run. I was wantinng to run a stock hood with the factory scoops, but i may not be able to. Thats why I thought about the six pack AAR fiberglass hood. Another question is I wonder about spacing the K frame down? Thats what the hemi barracuda's and darts had to lower the motor. I don't know what would be the best, so thats why i was asking for some opinions on the matter.
Thanks, Matt

-
Back