Quit "Stalling" ( 'Roll' Reversal )

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
As of late , my driver Coronet ( stock 318 / Trans-Go'ed 904 / 2.71 ) has been stalling-out when I engage reverse :violent2: .
The problem isn't consistent ; ambient air temp / humidity doesn't affect it ; operating temp doesn't matter ; and whether or not I've got the brake pedal applied ( factory power disc brakes ) doesn't matter.

The fluid level is dead-nuts ; fluid is sanitary ( just serviced it this Summer ) and doesn't have a malodourous scent to it ; no internal nor external leaks ; stock trans linkage .

I have both the 'fast' ( cold , choke operating ) and 'warm' or 'curb' idle settings at their optimum settings ; and the A/F mixture is 2.25 turns-out ; and no vacuum leaks ( as far as I can tell ... ) .

Anyone have any ideas as to why my car is stalling-out when I engage reverse ???
It's irritating at minimum , and -potentially- dangerous at worst
( I park "Get-Away" style , as it's easier to pull straight-out with a clear view , as opposed to backing-into traffic 'blindly' ) .

Thanks much :happy2:

Did you check and adjust the rear band when you serviced it last summer? If not it's possible it's just the band is worn and not clamping down on the rear drum enough to hold it. Since you didn't mention any problems with any other gear it has to be a problem with the rear band, apply servo, or valve body. If you did adjust the band when it was serviced the next step is to run a pressure test on the rear servo.

..........I'd say the lock up converter is nfg......providing it has lock up.....and yes it will only stall in reverse.......kim.........

-
Back