FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is more of an FYI to help anyone that is building a race setup or not

interested in using a stock steering column. I just bought a dragstrip only74

Duster a few months ago that needs some upgrades and improvements. Along

with the many upgrades I am making is totally removing the OEM steering

column and going with a 3/4" DOM steering shaft and a u-joint on the steering

box input spline. This will allow for more header clearance and make it easier to

remove later when I need to service various items. The main reason I wanted to

share all of this with you is to enlighten FABO members to the spline diameter and

tooth count, so this information will make it easy on the next guy. The manual

uses a 3/4"-36 but it measures .730" on the O.D. and it is not of the same

pressure angle as most 3/4"-36 joints, so you have to be careful when buying it

to make sure it's for a Mopar spline and the power steering box uses a 5/8"-36

spline u-joint. However there are within the industry there are 3 different size

5/8"-36 spline u-joints so this is where I will help you avoid getting the wrong

parts.

They come in 5/8"-36 .600" major o.d., .605" major o.d., and .620" o.d.

The Mopar uses the 5/8"-36 .620" major o.d. spline. Stiletto Rack also is the

same one.

Personally I like using American made Sweet U-joints rather than cheap Chinese

made u-joints when my life and that of others is in question.

Here is the part numbers you need:

Sweet Mfg 401-50607 Steering U-Joint 5/8"- 36 Spline x 3/4" Smooth

The cheapest place to buy it is on eBay from a speed shop in Terre Haute,

Indiana of which I have purchased several Sweet u-joints from

for various projects in the past.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321595952487?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT $53.99 with Free Shipping

Hope this information might help others along the way.

Tom

Last edited:
After doing some measuring I have discovered that the major diameter on my manual box input spline in .730" , so until I get a chance to visit the local the

speed shop and verify that the above Sweet part number fits correctly since it measure .750" I wouldn't buy one yet if you read this thread and thought about

ordering one. I know that Mopar splines are strange compared to other manufactures and I will find out if this will work next week.

Tom

If you ever hit anything hard nose-on, that 3/4" shaft will make an excellent spear aimed right at your chest :poke:

How about keeping the (compressible) stock column, but cutting the tube back to the firewall? Since my car had PS and I wanted manual steering, I added a Flaming River extension and U-joint anyway.
Lots of room for the Hedman B-body headers I used in my A-body :) (The ding in tube #7 was made by the previous owner of the headers, who didn't cut the column tube).

If you ever hit anything hard nose-on, that 3/4" shaft will make an excellent spear aimed right at your chest :poke:

How about keeping the (compressible) stock column, but cutting the tube back to the firewall? Since my car had PS and I wanted manual steering, I added a Flaming River extension and U-joint anyway.
Lots of room for the Hedman B-body headers I used in my A-body :) (The ding in tube #7 was made by the previous owner of the headers, who didn't cut the column tube).

Thanks for your concern. I guess I should have elaborated a little more on the project, but felt most would just be interested enough in the spline size it's self. I am actually

using 2 pieces of 3/4" tubing and another piece that slips over them. It is all held together with aluminum shear bolts, so if in fact I do crash the frontend of

the car the column will collapse.

Tom

hey D Charles. Where did you get the mounts for the motor plate? Did you make them yourself or can you buy them. I want that set-up for my 588" 68 cuda street car...thanks

hey D Charles. Where did you get the mounts for the motor plate? Did you make them yourself or can you buy them. I want that set-up for my 588" 68 cuda street car...thanks

I made the frame rail mounts. A good example is found on the BBD tech pages. It is important to use a sleeve inside the frame rail (I used steel tubing with a 1/8" wall) to avoid crushing when the vertical bolt was tightened. Of course if you want to weld the L-brackets to the frame rail then you don't have to worry about bolting it down.

There are several pics of the component parts on Page 3 of my Dart photo album.

OK, After a trip to the speed shop I can now say with 100% certainty that the 3/4"-36 Sweet U-joint will fit on the manual steering box.

Originally it would not fit because I had used a wire wheel on the input splines and apparently caused a minor burr that did not allow it to

slide on. So like the above information the cheapest place to buy it is on eBay
Sweet Mfg 401-50612 Steering U-Joint 3/4"- 36 Spline x 3/4" Round Smooth

Hopefully now others will be able to use this information in modifying their cars.

Tom

Last edited:
Ok, I have edited and updated the above information. I have now posted the two different u-joints it takes to install a U-joint on the

manual and the power steering boxes.

Each of the U-joints listed below have been test fit, so I know they fit correctly without issues.

Manual box takes a 3/4"-36 spline to 3/4" Smooth Sweet Manufacturing part # 401-50612

Power box takes a 5/8"-36 Spline x 3/4" Smooth Sweet Manufacturing part # 401-50607

Happy modifying,

Tom

Order placed.

Thanks for the info and the links

Murrica!

Not really saving anything by changing the tube, just cut the bearing housing back and add the u joint.

The U-joint your using is a lot larger diameter than the Sweet brand one I am using.

I am also only using 3/4" diameter tubing and it is for a race car only, so I wanted to get rid of the steering column weight.

When I finish the job all I will have to do is undo a allen head on a slip collar and unscrew the allen on the u-joint

and I can pull it all out of the way. FYI: U-joint is on all the way on both splines and to where the screw is in the

middle of the valley between the splines where the roll pin previously was.

Tom

-
Back