Racing stripes for a 66 Barracuda

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Work is nearing completion on the engine and frontend rebuild. Plus some of the other work taking place on the car

The car has black interior and exterior and has all chrome in place. I will be putting the racing stripes on the car and plan to stay factory correct. Which of course gives me 6 factory choices. White might be to conservative, no sure about red. gold or bronze. Any advice? Does anybody have any pictures of their black barracuda's with racing stripes?
Before painting, I plan to use one of those stencil sets, does anybody have any experience with those?

Attachments

• 66 stipes.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 300
are you building a resto or whatever you like?

If I were to choose a stripe I would go with the gold or bronze, then white

Building a resto

I already caught holy heck for rebuilding a 273

I guess the best answer would be, did it come with a stripe? if so what colour? How well do you know the history of the car?
It would always bug me if I never really knew the truth

no stripe that I know of. It has already been repainted twice before it came to me, originally black (based on VIN), than red and back to black

Is there anyway to tell from the VIN?

Resto aside, I think the bronze stripe and some ralley wheels would look killer

Black & gold looks really good but the Citron gold is almost a green color so I say use the Bronze stripes.

Is there anyway to tell from the VIN?

Resto aside, I think the bronze stripe and some ralley wheels would look killer

The VIN won't tell if the car came with stripes. But the fender can.
A 1966 Barracuda with factory racing stripes will have the number "4" under the letter "i" in PAINT and the stripe color under the letter "n". Example--a car with factory white racing stripes would have 4W under the "i" and "n" respectfully.
Without the fender tag or buildsheet, it's anybody's guess.

I will vote for gold. Reminds me of the 66 Shelby "Hertz" cars, which as I recall were mostly black with gold stripes. Great color combination.....

Attachments

• 1966_mustang_fastback_gt350h_black_gold_001.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 223
The VIN won't tell if the car came with stripes. But the fender can.
A 1966 Barracuda with factory racing stripes will have the number "4" under the letter "i" in PAINT and the stripe color under the letter "n". Example--a car with factory white racing stripes would have 4W under the "i" and "n" respectfully.
Without the fender tag or buildsheet, it's anybody's guess.

I did not know that, thanks for that tidbit!! Time to check my car!! When I pulled the front windshield on my car there was evidence of the stripe being black over a yellow car, now its white over Viper Blue, so I always assumed my car was a stripe car!! Geof

I will be going with the gold. Because all the other work, I will be waiting on the re-painting the car (looks good and will have the stripe painted at that time)
In the short term, I am thinking about using a stripe stencil set.
There are a couple out there; Phoenix Graphix, Graphic Express and Classic Industries. And they are all about the same price for the set.
Does anybody have any experience with car stencils of any type?

-
Back