RADIALS in front SLICKS on back OK or NOT

-

73dart360

Reaction score
I am going to take my car to the track i have fairly skinny radials on the front and M/T slicks-Bias ply on back is anybody running a similar combo ,is it ok to run radials in front and slicks in back?

You get a little rear end sway doing that, but I've been 10.60s with a similar tire combo.

It depends on how much pressure you choose for the slicks, and what slick it actually is.......

I used 10" M&H wrinkles with radials in front and had no issues.......slicks were generally set at about 18 pounds....medium compound....as a matter of fact, I drove it HOME once on the Interstate like that (had my rear tires and some other stuff stolen from my spot during trials)..drove 2 hours at an average speed of 65 or so (open headers too) and just a tiny bit of sway all the way....it DID get exciting when a big rig passed me though....she wobbled pretty good a couple of times.

(Don't try this at home...................Please). 8)

I have M/T slicks and also some M/T Drag radials(street legal)If your driving back and forth to the track?Maybe some new M/T Drag radials are in order.Slicks are illeagal on the road up here in Ontario,Canada.Good Luck.

I`ve always heard that if you must mix a bias-ply and radial tire that the radial needs to be on the back. With that being said I`ve seen people run all sorts of tire combos without an issue.

You get a little rear end sway doing that, but I've been 10.60s with a similar tire combo.

I agree - been there - just watch out at the top end - get out of it to stop the sway...

-
Back