Radiator cap pressure

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
What pressure should I run on my radiator cap? I have a 16 lb right now. I have heard of people running 23 lb. Is this a good idea or not?

First can you find a 23 lbs cap?,and can your system handle that pressure? You can get 17-18 lbs caps at the auto parts and this raises the boiling piont of your coolant to a higher spec,but the problem is still why is your system even getting that hot to warrant using a 23 lbs cap and what temp does it run at now,Mrmopartech

Well, I thought it was a 23 lb..I could be wrong.

Personally, I have only ever run 16 lb. I have a standard 2 core radiator, a high volume MP water pump, 7 blade fan, 185 stat, and a factory surge tank.

The tank and fan will both go by bye in favor of an electric fan and aftermarket tank (better looking and smaller).

I was just checking to see if I was missing something.

Thanks, guys.... I'll stick with my 16 lb

Racing caps are in the 20 lb range. If your car has the original heater core I would not go that high. Your car will not run any cooler with a higher pressure cap it will only keep coolant in the radiator at a higher temperature. Circle track cars can run as high as 280 degrees and use only water that is the reason for the high pressure caps.

Just as the other guys say I would stick with no more than 16 lbs. I'd be affraid to start popping seams with much more than that.

Heater core? What's that??:mrgreen:

Just kidding...my heater core wasn't even hooked up for a few years. I just replaced it with a new once, just to be safe. But, like before, I'll stick with my 16 Lb cap.

-
Back