radiator fitment questions

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I have a 67 cuda coupe, original slant car. Im putting a small block in it. I got an opportunity to get a radiator from a 72 model 318 dart. Will this radiator be a straight across bolt in to my radiator support or will i need to modify the radiator support to use it.

I dont care about fan shrouds and weather or not its a correct year part, plus i plan on running an electric fan anyways.

Anybody swap these out and know the answer for definite sure before i buy this radiator.

Thanks
Matt

My crystal ball tells me there will be a "Why does my cat overheat?" thread in the future.

Please explain? Not enough of an opening in the rad support? Electric fan an issue, 318 sized rad not big enough?

Engine will b a mild built 318, and i plan on using a flexalite black magic thermostat controlled fan. It has a built in shroud. I have one on my 94 chevy pickup and its been on there in use for 16 years with no problems.

Matt

Just gave a fan shroud to a fellow member with a 69 cuda. His car has a 22 inch radiator. Upper rad hose is on drivers side, don't know about your 67.
Just put a 26 inch rad in my 75 Scamp and just as a point of interest the rad I pulled from my 89 Dodge pickup has the same dimensions .and could have been adapted had I known.

I haven't had much luck with electric fans. Most of them don't move enough air and/or restrict airflow through the radiator. I've heard good things about a Mercedes fan upgrade though. It's a dual fan setup and pushes a lot of air. Unless you go with one of those, I think you will be happier with a stock fan/shroud combo.

I haven't had much luck with electric fans. Most of them don't move enough air and/or restrict airflow through the radiator. I've heard good things about a Mercedes fan upgrade though. It's a dual fan setup and pushes a lot of air. Unless you go with one of those, I think you will be happier with a stock fan/shroud combo.

Sounds like a good idea. The black magic fan i have in use on my pickup is cooling a 350 V8.as i was saying it has a built in shroud, never overheated with this setup in the 16 years its been on the truck. Its mounted as a puller fan not a pusher. Being i live in west texas, heat is always an issue. I have pulled flat bed trailers with project cars on them with this setup, never overheated. It can idle all day with the A/C on in the heat with no problems. I only had one issue with it after 10 years of service, and that was the relay on the control board froze shut, and the fan wouldent shut off killing my battery. I got a new board from flexalite, also repaired the old one for a spare, its worked great ever since.

Since the 318 is gonna be a mild build, and i intend to use this same fan on my project car, i wanted to get back to my original question. Which is, will a radiator out of a 72 dart with 318 fit the rad support if my 67 cuda without modifying the radiator support to make it work. If this radiator requires a new core, i will put one in that has the most rows that will fit the size if its tanks.

Thanks
Matt

measure your frame rails, the dart radiator is 26'' wide you may need to add a bolt hole or two but if it will fit in the opening you can bolt it up.

i think it should bolt in o.k. but am not 100% sure.
the issue will be upper and lower hose location..they changed in '70
if electric you will need 3000 cfm

Found a custom aluminum 22"one selling on evilbay for $369. I believe they had 6 of this particular A body radiator. Sellers name is univparts, and it looks like they sell just aluminum radiators. This one i am looking at is a 2 row all welded aluminum setup for an A body. They have 2 different 22" rads for A body with lower water outlet welded in on either drivers side or passenger side, comes with transmission cooler in lower tank. I dunno how good these are, brackets look to be correct on either side though. Anybody buy one of these? Any experiences with these good or bad?

If i get a chance to I will try to post item number later.
Matt

The price looks high for what your looking at. Ive seen the size your looking at all day the time for $100-150 range

Not sure why anyone would think a 318 rad on a 318 would cause it to overheat. Joe has a couple factory big block C bodies with slant 6 sized rads, and they'll run all day without overheating.

The price looks high for what your looking at. Ive seen the size your looking at all day the time for $100-150 range

who is selling these for this price? shouldent a 2 row 22" aluminum one cool a mild built 318 no problem? i eventually want to make a stroker 390 out of it, will this size work as well?

-
Back