Radiator Hose Question

-

Wes

67Cuda
Reaction score
Since I upgraded to an aftermarket aluminum radiator, the bottom port is on the right side (opposite the water pump outlet). So now I'm looking at about 36" hose to make my connection. Is this ok to do and does anyone have a recommended spot for buying custom hoses?

Thanks,
Wes

i read the post. its a very legitament question to ask. personally from all the mopars ive had... running a hose that long i think is way to rediculiously long to run. from my past experienes i think the shorter the hose the easier to cool and opposite for being a longer hose.

-is it a B-COOL rad?

- if so, i would see if there is any way to send it back and have them modify it to make it easier to run the hose. if not i would just run the regular stock rad. unless your engine is a high perf. engine. :supz::headbang:

Another method is to switch to a later (1970 & up?) water pump. This will move the hose to the right side of the car. Unfortunately, the pump/hose will now make it very difficult to see your timing marks. The only cure for that is to switch to the later timing chain cover & balancer. Or, you could just switch the chain cover & scribe a new TDC mark on the balancer you have. It's never easy, is it?

Maybe a universal type Braided/Chrome hose will do it depending on the bends. Summit/Jegs etc should have something 36" long.

Tom

The stock rad was trashed, that's why I bought the new one. Not a B-Cool but like one of those. The radiator is for a 71 Cuda, so it was a bit tall but I already corrected that.

I think I like 64 Cuda's idea of switching to the later model water pump. Can I just switch the housing or do I have to replace the whole pump?
I already scribed my timing mark on the balancer so that shouldn't be an issue.

Afraid I made an assumption that may not be true. I'm thinking you have a small block. If so, any small block pump should bolt to any timing chain cover (except Magnum stuff, that's reverse rotation, different chain cover).

SO I should be able to just swap housing Tom?

I'm on driver side now.
Thanks for the link Tom, thats the first passenger side housing I have seen.

I had my bottom radiator outlet moved along with the drain moved to opposite sides of the radiator with a cleaning for 65.00 last weekend. Might be the way to go for you.
HKeller

I had my bottom radiator outlet moved along with the drain moved to opposite sides of the radiator with a cleaning for 65.00 last weekend. Might be the way to go for you.
HKeller

Aluminum?

I had mine switched on my aluminum radiator it was around 100 dollars. If you switch yours will that put both hoses in same tank wondering if that might cause a cooling concern? (I had both hoses switched) I know of someone who had same issue they used two short hoses with a piece of exhaust pipe bent to make up the length in middle.

-
Back