Radiator Hose Temp Sensor Adaptor

-

mario03srt

Reaction score
All,

I need to place a Coolant Sensor Adaptor in my radiator hose so I can place the sensor and run my Summit Coolant Gage. I have seen a few on line and was looking for a good recommendation for a type and brand but not break the bank. My location on my Airgap will be taken by my FiTech temp sensor to feed into the ECU. So I need to tap in my analog in car gage also.

Thanks,
Marion

I picked a aluminum on up of ebay for 25 I think, works great just make sure of the thread, there are metric ones also,

All, Thanks, I saw those and the black anodized 38mm looks like a good choice or would a 42mm be better? Just measured my rad hose and it is slightly larger than a 1.5. It indicates a 1/8 npt though for the probe thread. My probe is a 3/8th npt. Is that your same size. Where did you place the probe at? Upper Rad Hose top, mid, bottom?

Thanks,
Marion

Last edited:
where I put mine ....

P1010049.JPG

So it looks like a lower rad hose location? Does it matter whether it is before or after the rad? I assume the temp is lower coming out.

Marion

The description and the video i the link above show it in the upper radiator hose. That is where I think it should go.

The description and the video i the link above show it in the upper radiator hose. That is where I think it should go.

Uh, huh.
The top hose is where the coolant comes out of your motor and is the temp you want.
Not after the radiator has already cooled it.

I'll see if there is enough room to put one in the upper hose ...... I already have a 1 1/2" one also or I can just redo the temps in the controller, can also monitor the inlet and outlet temps

Any idea if that would work on a RB motor? I have one in the hose do not like it there just looks cheap.

yes it will. I didn't use the O ring, went with two gaskets.

This what I did on my 318.
Just did a little massaging!
Works great and no leaks.

Wouldn't the thermostat need to be above the sensor? If the adapter is above the thermostat, then the water temp being measured by the sensor isn't really the engine water temp until the thermostat opens, right?

Travis

Water coming out of the thermostat is engine temp, as it is coming from the engine.

Water coming out of the thermostat is engine temp, as it is coming from the engine.

Yes, I know. However, if the thermostat is closed, the water the sensor is reading is just what is left over in the top hose and won't be the engine temp.

Travis

I drilled two 1/8th inch holes in the thermostat. To help with air pockets and so the thermostat works better. Sensor turns on at 200 and turns off at 180. So far my car is loving this set-up in sunny and hot Tucson.

-
Back