radiator interchangeability

-

crooked1/2dozen

Reaction score
Hey all:

I know this maybe belongs under the rad section, but feel more people will see it here.

Any one know what rads will fit, i.e. what years , in my '64 Valiant w/ slant six, auto?

TIA

Dan

I sold a 70s slant6 replacement radiator to a guy with an early A body that lived in Canada. He said he was able to make it fit just fine with a 70s lower hose, and drilled two new holes in the support to get it to fit just fine.

I used a Volare (slant six) radiator in my '64 (225, 904) for several years after the original ('64) radiator tanks rotted out. Mounting just took a couple of holes drilled in the wide flange on the radiator. In my car it required a non-lever radiator cap for hood clearance, and a Volare lower hose. I must have inadvertently ordered the non-HD or non-AC version, because it was barely adequate in the Texas summer even before I put AC back in the car.

Now I'm running an American Eagle aluminum radiator intended for a 289 automatic '67 Mustang. The lower hose is different in diameter and is a little wrong in position, and the one of the transmission cooler outlets is aimed at the harmonic balancer. It took some not-so-pretty rigging to get it moved over a little, and to make the lines clear. This is a two-row (1" tubes) unit, which leaves no room for the factory fan. I have one pusher fan up front, and would like to add another. This setup is not pretty but it cools very well even with the AC on. I can't really recommend that approach.

I read somewhere that Champion will move the outlet on a V8 A-body radiator to the passenger side. Might give them a call.

check champion's website. they move lower neck for $$ dollars, change its size for another $$$$ . wonder why it s so hard to just make a correct early A slant radiator and give ya a fri-- ing price!!?????
I know.... i'm getting old and ornery????

-
Back