Radiator Issues

-
Reaction score
I just got my 71 Dart Swinger. The original owner said that there was a leak coming from the radiator, but he hasnt run the car in 4 years, so he didnt really know where. I put some water in, and can visually tell its coming from the middle of the radiator. So, what are my options? should i try taking it to a shop and having it repaired? is it just so old its not worth it and i should put in a new one? if so, im on a budget, and will one of THESE super cheap ones be ok? im not really gonna go for performance right now, im on a budget, i just want to get her running. thanks guys

Wish I would have known about these guys, I shelled out $500+. Seems like the first thing and old car needs when you buy it is a new radiator. If it were me I would call them and ask where they are manufactured. Their warranty sounds good, for as long as you own the car, and the price is good. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in, bump for ya anyway.

It would be better to take it to a good radiator shop, then you will still have the correct radiator.

In my area, the radiator shops just want to sell new ones, they always tell me "it can't be fixed". I've taken a bernz-o-matic propane torch and soldered several leaks. The tough part is getting it clean. You'll have to damage some of the fins to get to the leak. I've even pinched off and soldered some tubes if they were too bad. Acid core solder works for me. Heat the area and wire brush it clean. You may have to use acid flux to get it clean enough -BE CAREFUL AND WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!!! Oh yeah... drain and pull the radiator first- you'll never get it soldered in the car.... And a coat of black spray paint works wonders on patched up radiators.

-
Back