radiator overflow question

-

Darius

Darius
Reaction score
My 69 Dart 340 got warm after driving about 225 miles down I-5 from Sacramento to LA. It ran fine until I got to the Grapevine grade where it shot up to that last line on the gauge. It did not go past that point but it was hot enough to send some overflow to the catch tank. The fluid did not transfer back to the radiator once it cooled down so I am thinking the tank it clogged with crud at the outlet, which is probable considering the age.
i have not been able to locate a replacement after looking at at least 5 sites i.e. Classic, B,E,&A, Dante's, Rock Auto, etc.
Anyone have a source for a new one?

Most likely the coolant did not transfer back to the radiator because of a poor seal on the radiator cap. To work properly the cap has to seal perfectly to draw the fluid back and the slightest crack in the rubber or ding in the neck of the radiator will stop it

Since I had recently installed a new cap that was the first thing I checked and it was fine. I replaced it anyway just to make sure and still no luck

It sounds like since you replaced the cap that you might have been problems previously.

Getting hot under load is almost always a radiator problem. If you haven't replaced it, you may want to consider it. If the one that's in it is a numbers correct original you can keep that of course and run a newer rad in it since you (GASP) drive it a lot:yawinkle:

I would start with a good full system back flush then and a 160* thermostat - without a stat in it cars will usually overheat on the road (when driven far enough)

Make sure you have a cap made for a coolant recovery system.

It will have 2 rubber gaskets on it instead of 1.

They became standard in 1974.

It's normal for an old car to purge a little if really hot. Replace your cap for a good seal/transfer. I added an overflow container to my 66 Belvedere 440. MMG

-
Back