Radiator question--which one??

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
When I install my new stroker I want to install a new radiator so I know $5k don't go down the drain. I've looked all over and there's several ways to go. First I like the look of the aluminum radiators but do they really cool as well as they say? Most mfg.'s claim a 2 core (although bigger cores) will out cool a conventional 4 core radiator. I can get a universal 2 core aluminum radiator with mounts for $200. Or if I would keep the stock look Portell Radiators just the other side of St. Louis (they have a good reputation locally) told me he would build me a custom unit that looks stock and will cool my engine but he's $550. Huge difference in price but if the $200 radiator isn't what it's cracked up to be the custom job is the way to go IMO. So the $100,000 question of the day is what are you guys running in your A-bodies? Especially you guys with 408/416's. Anybody running on of the $200 Summit or JEGS universal radiators with a stroker and how do you like it.

BTW: It's a 68 Cuda with a 22" opening but I don't see why a 24" won't fit. I figure 2 extra inches can't hurt.

Thanks, Tracy

http://www.griffinrad.com/muscle_car.cfm

They have one listed for your car, there are no prices listed on their site but worth a call. I have one in my 67 cuda, it cost 200 if I remember right but had no mounts so I welded my own right on the the tanks, it will cool 600 HP easy, mine is 22 inches from tank to tank width and the core is 17.5 inches wide with 2 one inch wide cores. Theirs can have the outlets on any side you need them, excellent construction also. I will post pics of mine tomorrow.

I have one of the summit direct fit with tranny cooler aluminum radiators in my duster. It seems like it cools well and I dont even have a shroud on it yet.

http://www.griffinrad.com/muscle_car.cfm

They have one listed for your car, there are no prices listed on their site but worth a call. I have one in my 67 cuda, it cost 200 if I remember right but had no mounts so I welded my own right on the the tanks, it will cool 600 HP easy, mine is 22 inches from tank to tank width and the core is 17.5 inches wide with 2 one inch wide cores. Theirs can have the outlets on any side you need them, excellent construction also. I will post pics of mine tomorrow.

Wow that sounds like a good deal. I remember looking at Griffin's but I've looked at so many I didn't remember them being so cheap. would love to see the pics too. Thanks

I have one of the summit direct fit with tranny cooler aluminum radiators in my duster. It seems like it cools well and I dont even have a shroud on it yet.

That was the main one I was looking at since it's so cheap and money is so tight right now. But I wanted some feedback on it as to how well it actually works. Cheap don't mean nothing if it don't work. Sounds like it must be pretty decent if it works even without a shroud. Most need a shroud to cool good. Thanks for the info. BTW: What gears are you running in your Duster?

summit sells griffin. i ordered one for my rx7 with 360 i had to go with 26x16 due to ground clearance issues. i paid 193 shipped.

summit sells griffin. i ordered one for my rx7 with 360 i had to go with 26x16 due to ground clearance issues. i paid 193 shipped.

I'll have to look again. I had no idea Griffin's were that cheap. Thanks

360 in a RX7. I bet that was a ton of fun as those cars are very light.

Griffin makes nice radiators but I didn`t think that they made anything under 500 dollars?

The direct bolt in radiators are expensive but I was just looking on Summit's site and they do have cheap universal radiators. Only problem i see is they don't have any type of mounting system, at least none that I can find. A person would have to weld on brackets like 67fish said he did. The problem with that is I don't have a TIG welder and even if I did I'd probably blow holes in it. LOL

I'll have to look again. I had no idea Griffin's were that cheap. Thanks

360 in a RX7. I bet that was a ton of fun as those cars are very light.

summit has universals for around 150-200 their HP and direct fit ones are a little higher. some in the 500 dollar range.

the rx7 should be quick.. aiming for 2800lbs with full interior and viper rear..may switch to solid.. not sure.. its gonna be tricky switching over to the viper rear. hurst shifter goes in tomorrow, then gotta order hood and should be mostly complete..

There was a custom fit Griffin radiator for my Barracuda on Ebay some time back and I was in it for 350 dollars and didn`t win by almost a hundred dollars. Lol! It was a smart looking rad too, the top tank was configured very close to the original shape. I ended up getting a custom aluminum radiator through Mancini but it wasn`t cheap either, over 500 dollars IIRC but it`s about 3 inches thick and cools great.

The direct bolt in radiators are expensive but I was just looking on Summit's site and they do have cheap universal radiators. Only problem i see is they don't have any type of mounting system, at least none that I can find. A person would have to weld on brackets like 67fish said he did. The problem with that is I don't have a TIG welder and even if I did I'd probably blow holes in it. LOL

i used the tabs or whatever they are called on top to make mounting points. i mounted a permacool fan on the front , the tabs are smaller than i would like. need more mounting surface but i needed the lower profile one. im sure a radiator shop could weld some mounting brackets on there.

there is a guy on an idi diesel forum that (420ci motors) bought one from rodney red i think his name was. custom job was 500-600 bucks i think

summit has universals for around 150-200 their HP and direct fit ones are a little higher. some in the 500 dollar range.

Yeah I know. I already looked at them. The main question I had is do they work as good as they say.
the rx7 should be quick.. aiming for 2800lbs with full interior and viper rear..may switch to solid.. not sure.. its gonna be tricky switching over to the viper rear. hurst shifter goes in tomorrow, then gotta order hood and should be mostly complete..

Sounds fun.

There was a custom fit Griffin radiator for my Barracuda on Ebay some time back and I was in it for 350 dollars and didn`t win by almost a hundred dollars. Lol! It was a smart looking rad too, the top tank was configured very close to the original shape. I ended up getting a custom aluminum radiator through Mancini but it wasn`t cheap either, over 500 dollars IIRC but it`s about 3 inches thick and cools great.

Wow! I don't think they cost much more (if any) than that from Summit. E-bay is just like any other auction. Some guys pay stupid prices for things. Once I was at a tool auction and bid on a set of Craftsman allen sockets. I had the Craftsman catalog with me so I knew they sold for only $45 new so i bid them up to $35 and gave up cause two guys were having it out trying to outbid each other. When it was said and done they sold for $75. :bootysha:

i used the tabs or whatever they are called on top to make mounting points. i mounted a permacool fan on the front , the tabs are smaller than i would like. need more mounting surface but i needed the lower profile one. im sure a radiator shop could weld some mounting brackets on there.

That's what I was thinking about the tabs. Look pretty small. Usable but small. I have no radiator shop within 40 miles of me so getting something done is alot of driving. The other problem is money. Not much of that here now. :sad7: I'd love to just go with a custom direct fit job but $500 just can't happen. I'll probably go with one of the Summit universals since they look decent, the price is right and Bigstrok said his works good.

Thanks to all for the input. Tracy

-
Back