Radiator Support To Grille Heat Shields

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I decided to make some heat shields to block off the big space on either side of the hood latch. While I'm not even close to having an over heating issue, it can't hurt to divert more air through the radiator. They are some big spaces too. I used some corrugated plastic from a parts display sign, of which I have many for just such projects. I think it came out ok. The paint is still wet in this picture, but it will dry to a low gloss black. This might help some of you who are actually fighting an over heating issue or are close to it. I plan to make some shields to close off the opening between the lower valance and K frame too, if I can.

HEAT SHIELDS.JPG

I decided to make some heat shields to block off the big space on either side of the hood latch. While I'm not even close to having an over heating issue, it can't hurt to divert more air through the radiator. They are some big spaces too. I used some corrugated plastic from a parts display sign, of which I have many for just such projects. I think it came out ok. The paint is still wet in this picture, but it will dry to a low gloss black. This might help some of you who are actually fighting an over heating issue or are close to it. I plan to make some shields to close off the opening between the lower valance and K frame too, if I can.

View attachment 1716123606
did that about 3 yrs ago , 505'' , 68 fastback , helped some for sure , all new cars have them that I`ve seen ...
made a small radiator width front spoiler as an experiment , it helped a little , would rather have a ''spoiler by Randy'' one tho...

Just make sure you got it fastened securely along the leading and trailing edges. Ram air is pretty strong and if there’s only a couple of bolts holding the plastic down, it will ballon and eventually rip or balloon enough the air will find another escape route than through the rad.

Just make sure you got it fastened securely along the leading and trailing edges. Ram air is pretty strong and if there’s only a couple of bolts holding the plastic down, it will ballon and eventually rip or balloon enough the air will find another escape route than through the rad.
The eventual idea is to use these as a template to cut some more from neoprene rubber sheet. Once I do that, I will add some more fasteners.

I noticed I got a disagree from @mad dog. Hopefully that's a fat finger, but it case it's not, lemmie splain it.

If air is allowed to go over the radiator support, here's what happens. As the air enters the engine bay from over the support, instead of going through the radiator, it acts to pressurize the engine bay some. That makes it more difficult for the air to come through the radiator and even causes some of it to bypass the grill opening altogether. There's a lot of science involved in closing off all openings except the grill. Way smarter minds than I have thought of it first. What made me think of it on Vixen was, I just got some reproduction pieces for Gladys, my Ford truck that fill in those areas. She had what was left of the factory pieces. Now she has some new ones. If the factory thought it was a good idea, rest assured, it was.

Rusty, my apologies... dont know how that happened, i one of your biggest fans... how do i remove the X?

Rusty, my apologies... dont know how that happened, i one of your biggest fans... how do i remove the X?
No worries, buddy. Those button images are all too close together anyway and it's easy to hit if you don't mean to. If you look at the post, you'll see a "remove" button in the lower right hand of the post.

Last edited:
I can report some success on the flaps added to Gladys, my Ford truck. Although not scientific, her normal operating temp before was the temp hand even with the beginning of the M in the word TEMP at the bottom of the gauge. That's right before the halfway point. With the flaps, now the temp hand is right at the beginning of the E in TEMP. So that's one whole letter cooler. LOL It's really hot and humid out today, too. I'd venture to guess that's at least a solid 20 degrees difference. Pretty amazing what a couple of pieces a lot of people throw away will do. I'll be driving Vixen tomorrow as we have a cruise in at Chevy's Pizza in Gray.

I did that with sheetmetal on my 66 Valiant. Both top and bottom. I want all the air going through my radiator and I kind of hope it helps at speed. Seems to work.

20230806_145341.jpg

20230806_145418.jpg

-
Back