Radiator support

-

Hopp

Reaction score
I am in the process of helping my son change his 73 dart from a slant six to a 360. He has purchased a 73 dart parts car that has all of the V-8 parts. It appears that the radiator support has a wider opening on the V-8 car than the one on the slant 6 car. Did dodge make two completely different radiator supports for the same car? How can this be rectified?

yes,the v8 cars had a 26" wide radiator and you don't need to change the whole thing. The only difference is one side of the support is narrower. That's the only side you need to swap.

Trim the smaller one out to the optimal opening. Even if it's a v8 support when you go to the largest size A body radiator we can get it still needs to be trimmed. Several layers of masking tape and a short blade in a sawzall is the best method I've found and I've tried quite a few.

Thanks for the info. So unless I trim the opening I have to change the whole support out. I've noticed that this is not a bolt in as well so it will have to be spot welded. Maybe more than I want to do so a sawzall might be In order.

The sawzall has a wider blade and it doesn't create crazy heat like a grinder. To me I found it to be the most controllable.

You can just swap out the one side you need by drilling out the spot welds or do the sawzall method but use the 6" blade for better control or use a jig saw with a metal blade.

-
Back