Radiator Swap - Pics!

-

danielb927

Reaction score
I've had a nice Champion 3-row radiator sitting in my closet for going on 3 years now, and finally made time to put it in. The car had begun to overheat both at high speeds (clogged up radiator) and at low speeds (fan clutch not engaging). Not the most fun swap to do in a dusty parking lot, but the result was definitely worth it. While doing the swap I also went ahead and replaced the pulleys and belts with the correct non-AC setup. FABO's been great to me over the years so I thought I'd share some pictures!

Here's two shots of the front of the engine bay after taking out parts. If you look close you can see that one transmission cooler line had to be cut--the flare fitting was so bound up that the bung started to rip free from the radiator before I could make any headway on loosening the fitting. In the end, had to cut the line and patch a short section with hydraulic hose for the time being. Not sure whether that's the supply or return to the trans cooler?
IMG_4095.JPG
IMG_4096.JPG

Before putting the new radiator in I snapped one shot of the new pulleys. In order to clear the thicker radiator I also had to replace the fan clutch with a thinner unit, which was fine as the old fan clutch had seemingly lost its ability to engage.
IMG_4097.JPG

Finally, a couple images with everything in place! Over in the electrical forum I'm still chasing a low voltage in reverse that must be related to the pulley swap, but otherwise everything seems leak-free and functional. I'm looking forward to a long drive to see how steady the temperature needle stays.
IMG_4100.JPG
IMG_4101.JPG

Last shot--the old radiator before being junked. Note the stub of transmission cooler line and the JB-Weld repair of a crack I made about six years ago. Not pretty, but it lasted a good ten thousand miles!
IMG_4103.JPG

Sweet!
That's going to make your engine much happier. I put a "big ***" Griffin aluminum radiator in my cuda and it's amazing the difference it made. The car can sit idling in hot weather and stay at 195º with no problems. The rad dropped the under hood temps so dramatically that it was actually cooler in the cabin of the car. Start looking for a shroud for the rad... it also makes a ton of difference. I've ran my engine with and without a shroud and it ran cooler with a shroud.... can't remember how much but it made a difference.

I get $25 for the old brass/copper ones at the scrap yard.

Guess I should have taken it over! I was so fed up with looking at the thing I just set it out by our apartment recycling and it was gone the next morning. Guessing someone came by and picked it up to cash in.

-
Back