Radiator Swap???

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
Well, found that the 225 radiator is knackered yesterday. Pulled it in the garage and found it leaking from numerous spots. Car is a '71 with dealer installed AC. Still has the standard duty radiator in there though.

Question is, I've got a '73 Dart 318 AC car with a good radiator. Can the radiator be swapped on the /6 car? I've already looked and I know at least the top hoses come off in a different spots.

Just wondered if someone has done this and if so, the hoses they used to mate it all up? Did it bolt right in etc.?

Cheers

I'm sure it can be swapped, however there's a few things to ensure. 1. ensure that the rad mounting bolts will line up with the support locations..(if not they can be re-drilled). 2. Check that the trans cooling lines will also line up. 3. If your lower rad hose is correct...the only thing left is to line up where your upper hose "will be" located and mark it. A rad shop will basiclly move any outlet or inlet to its new location for a cost and re-check for leaks. I have done this twice now when swapping rads due to different motors. My first cost was 50.00 a few years back and just lately 75.00.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check to see what is involved this weekend. Hope it works. I read somewhere and can't find it, that you can purchase a certain hose and it lines up with the / top.
Would certainly fit my budget to by a hose rather than a radiator!
Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check to see what is involved this weekend. Hope it works. I read somewhere and can't find it, that you can purchase a certain hose and it lines up with the / top.
Would certainly fit my budget to by a hose rather than a radiator!
Cheers

Anythings worth a try to save money. I've heard of guys using a coat hanger and benting it to the correct position, then going to a hose shop to see if anythings close to fit..:-D

FWIW I put a '65 Dart /6 radiator in a '77 Volare with a 318. Everything bolted up and I didn't even change the top hose, it was close enough after I swapped it end for end. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies!

I found the number to the top hose that is supposed to work. The hose is a Gates 20450. NAPA has them for $13 or so.

I will have to look though as I believe the bottom hose is a different size. 1.5 inches on the slant, but the 318 is a bit larger.

Grumps... did you find that your 318 hose was larger than the outlet on the bottom of the radiator?

69sig... I'd forgotten about the old coat hanger trick. Worked parts stores years ago and was a regular deal with the engine swap crowd. I like the cleaner look of a preformed hose over a flex.

Cheers

Did this butchery in 1979 so details are a little fuzzy. Do remember that the bottom hose wasn't changed and with a screw type hose clamp did not leak. Best I can do for now.

Thanks for the replies!

I found the number to the top hose that is supposed to work. The hose is a Gates 20450. NAPA has them for $13 or so.

I will have to look though as I believe the bottom hose is a different size. 1.5 inches on the slant, but the 318 is a bit larger.

Grumps... did you find that your 318 hose was larger than the outlet on the bottom of the radiator?

69sig... I'd forgotten about the old coat hanger trick. Worked parts stores years ago and was a regular deal with the engine swap crowd. I like the cleaner look of a preformed hose over a flex.

Cheers

Sorry, I for got to tell ya about the outlet sizes differance between /6 and 318...1.5 - 1.75 differance. If your inlet on the rad is smaller then your pumps outlet (like I had) of course one end will alway fit right and the other too big or too small...Due to my change I requested that my size on the rad to go from 1.50 to 1.75 to match up. All they did was find a 1.5 opening pipe sleve with a outer dia of 1.75 and weld it around.

Ah, that is what I wondered. Hope to be able to check all out this weekend. Project slowly coming along, but a bad radiator stalls it where it is pretty much. Who knows how long previous owners limped it along with stop leaks etc.

Part of the fun though eh?

Thanks again for your help and taking the time to post.

Cheers

-
Back