Radiator tranny cooler?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
The rad. I'm installing, in my bigblock Dart, comes with trans cooler hook-ups. Here's the question. I have an after market trans cooler, in the Charger, that I'm pulling the engine from. Should I just hook the lines to the rad. Or, can I plumb the after market one in, also?
Thanks

Most aftermarket cooler manufacturers recommend plumbing the aux cooler inline after the radiator cooler. Some folks will disagree with this and others will run only an aux cooler, which is fine if it's of sufficient size. The purpose of the in-rad cooler is not only to keep the fluid within ideal operating temps but also to bring it up to that temperature range quickly.

You might want to weigh all this with the fact that if the "in radiator cooler" leaks it will destroy the trans.
And if you use only the external cooler you should have a guage on it to monitor the temp (AND even possibly a cooling fan on it)
Just so you have all the facts, there are pro's and con's either way.

Most aftermarket cooler manufacturers recommend plumbing the aux cooler inline after the radiator cooler. Some folks will disagree with this and others will run only an aux cooler, which is fine if it's of sufficient size. The purpose of the in-rad cooler is not only to keep the fluid within ideal operating temps but also to bring it up to that temperature range quickly.

x2

The rad. I'm installing, in my bigblock Dart, comes with trans cooler hook-ups. Here's the question. I have an after market trans cooler, in the Charger, that I'm pulling the engine from. Should I just hook the lines to the rad. Or, can I plumb the after market one in, also?
Thanks

I run both. Trans to the radiator cooler, out of the radiator cooler into the external cooler, and from the external cooler back to trans.

Install a trans temp gauge so you "know" what temp it's at.

Greg makes a great point as well, make sure your radiator isn't leaking into the radiator cooler.

think about it...passing your trans. fluid through a 180 degree radiator.
use the rad plumbing if you drive in cold weather to warm your trans fluid.
..If you only drive in warm months,an external cooler should be all you need.

-
Back