Radiator?

-

bwillaub

Reaction score
Wondering what size radiator you guys use in your Dart with a big block 440? Thanks in advance.

What year? How much hp? AT or MT? Was it a 6 cyl or 8cyl originally? What kind of driving do you plan on doing? Where in the country do you live? Do you plan on keeping the car? All these questions will help guide you to the best radiator for your application.

What year? How much hp? AT or MT? Was it a 6 cyl or 8cyl originally? What kind of driving do you plan on doing? Where in the country do you live? Do you plan on keeping the car? All these questions will help guide you to the best radiator for your application.
1. Just over 400 hp. 2. AT 3. 8 cyl, 318. 4. Rare highway. 5. MO. 6. Yes.

Well the short and simple on any of this is- as big as you can fit in there. I'm sure there's a size like maybe the factory barracuda 383 big block size? It was a big block in an a-body.

1. Just over 400 hp. 2. AT 3. 8 cyl, 318. 4. Rare highway. 5. MO. 6. Yes.
So the original radiator should have been a 22". With all the other answers, you probably want as big of a 22" radiator you can get in there just like J par said. I don't see any need to go custom and try to fit a 26" or crossflow unit in there. An original 3 row copper/brass unit may be fine but why not get something with some extra capacity just in case this motor may run a little hot and just to make you comfortable when you get stuck in traffic on a hot Missouri summer day. :) I'd recommend a minimum dual 1" and consider a dual 1 1/4" tube aluminum rad. if you have enough clearance for your water pump pulley. Griffin, Be Cool, Cold Case, Dewitt, ECP, American Eagle division of Champion are all good brands. Of course we hope you give us a good look before you decide. :)

So the original radiator should have been a 22". With all the other answers, you probably want as big of a 22" radiator you can get in there just like J par said. I don't see any need to go custom and try to fit a 26" or crossflow unit in there. An original 3 row copper/brass unit may be fine but why not get something with some extra capacity just in case this motor may run a little hot and just to make you comfortable when you get stuck in traffic on a hot Missouri summer day. :) I'd recommend a minimum dual 1" and consider a dual 1 1/4" tube aluminum rad. if you have enough clearance for your water pump pulley. Griffin, Be Cool, Cold Case, Dewitt, ECP, American Eagle division of Champion are all good brands. Of course we hope you give us a good look before you decide. :)
Will do. Thanks for the info.

-
Back