Radiators in an A-body?

-
In my '72 dart, i have the original 22" radiator. I am ready to buy a new aluminum radiator. Getting one that has 1 inch tubes with 2 rows, like cold case or ECP, champion, etc..Obviously, i know i can go with another 22" and should fit no problem, but i think i would be better of going up to the 26". My question is will the 26" fit between the frame rails without having to cut into the rails? I know i would have to drill new mounting holes but thats not a big deal. I just DONT want to order the 26" only to find it wont fit in there and then have to try and send it back..I know some of the newer 1973-76 A-bodies actually came with the 26", but i dont believe the 1967-72 ever did..
Just buy a 22" Direct fit radiator from Griffin they work great. No need to go with a 26"
I cool my iron head 30 over 340 roller engine with factory A/C with a Griffin no issues
Stock water pump, hi flow stat, factory pulleys and fan

Barracuda new 340 002.JPG

I modified a junkyard $5 shroud from a dodge truck for my 69 barracuda. They have the same offset as the a bodies. Took a little bit of trimming and improvised mounting, but looks and works fine. Not perfect, but mine is a driver, so I am not aiming for perfection.

Griffin has an 1 1/4" tube radiator. I have a 28x19 crossflow w/ those tubes in my 68 fastback, I haven't even cut the core opening wider to expose the tanks to incoming air , so their still covered . The griffins are all welded , no epox or pressed on tanks either.

I put an ECP 26" rad in my '70 Duster, I didn't look closely to see if the opening in the core support was big enough because the new rad looked to mate up fine, I doubt there's more than an inch on each side that's being covered by the core support. My old factory 22" radiator had big brackets on the side to reach the mounting holes and was visibly narrower than the opening in the core support by at least a couple inches, almost like the car was already set up to accept a wider radiator...? The ECP 26" radiator was pretty much a bolt-in btw, only had to drill an extra hole in each of the mounting brackets and another 2 for the shroud, very easy.

The core support blocking airflow will limit the cooling capacity a bit but the bigger radiator will still cool more because it has more fluid capacity and more surface area exposed to air (even if a small amount of that air isn't really flowing through the fins).

In my '72 dart, i have the original 22" radiator. I am ready to buy a new aluminum radiator. Getting one that has 1 inch tubes with 2 rows, like cold case or ECP, champion, etc..Obviously, i know i can go with another 22" and should fit no problem, but i think i would be better of going up to the 26". My question is will the 26" fit between the frame rails without having to cut into the rails? I know i would have to drill new mounting holes but thats not a big deal. I just DONT want to order the 26" only to find it wont fit in there and then have to try and send it back..I know some of the newer 1973-76 A-bodies actually came with the 26", but i dont believe the 1967-72 ever did..

It fits in my 68 barracuda. It works. High flow water pump and 195* high flow t-stat. I wanted both input and outputs on the passenger side as ultimate plans are for a big block. I went with rubber hose for the top, and silicone hose and appropriate clamps for the bottom. I will try to remember to post up some pics tonight when I get home.

I used a wire coat hanger to plan out my hose shapes and then took it to oreilley and found the closest shape of appropriate diameter.

Griffin Performance Fit Radiators 8-70038-LS

Last edited:
It fits in my 68 barracuda. It works. High flow water pump and 195* high flow t-stat. I wanted both input and outputs on the passenger side as ultimate plans are for a big block. I went with rubber hose for the top, and silicone hose and appropriate clamps for the bottom. I will try to remember to post up some pics tonight when I get home.

I used a wire coat hanger to plan out my hose shapes and then took it to oreilley and found the closest shape of appropriate diameter.

Griffin Performance Fit Radiators 8-70038-LS
The summit pic looks like my 28x19 crossflow. I think a guy could get a little wider in a 68 fish if he wanted to. If I ever have to buy another for this car, I`ll try a 29 or 30 , ----------probly would have to trim the frame rails pinch welds for a 30 tho.

JSD Auto G126
just fits between rails, maybe 1/2" gap ea side at most
fills the core opening, plus a bit
Holds about 1 gallon more than "stock"
your original battery tray may not fit (didnt matter for me)
iirc it was about $120.
made a simple saddle btwn the rails to support the bottom, with rubber cushioning.
nothing is bolted thru the rad, just lightly clamped in place.
72 demon 0.060 over 360 zero deck ported heads .540 solid cam
hasnt run over 195* in traffic on a 105* day without a shroud and a 10% coolant mix. (auto in neutral at lights)
About 2 years running it and I'm happy.
I have a stock F body (mopar) shroud modified to fit, but apparently do not need it, so...we'll see.

(yes, it says "chevy" on the box)

100_3809.jpeg
100_3226.jpg
100_1266.jpg
100_1188.jpg
100_1190.jpg

-
Back