Radio removal- Under Dash A/C?

-

Hotshot

Recovering GM owner
Reaction score
Stupid question from iggerant, uneddicated new Mopar owner. Is there a way to remove the radio from a '67 A-body (Dart) from the front? The car has the dealer installed A/C under-dash unit and I'm just not real thrilled at having to try to dig it out if that is the only option. I just cant deal with a.m. radio static any more and I was hoping to be able to upgrade without digging into the glove box to install the new one.

hotshot, I believe you are stuck with pulling the A/C vents..
The glove box is cardboard and does not like holding up to being removed
here is the process I follow..

1. A/C vents out
2. ash tray out
3. put arms up through dash and get cut up :sad1:
4. wiggle wiggle repeat step 3.
5. remove the radio :blackeye:
6. CUT THE DASH and put in your stereo of choice

may think long and hard about step six if you EVER want to fully restore.

Gee, thanks for the positive news! I figured it was gonna be like most vehicles, but the under-dash A/C was the biggest issue.

As far as full restoration....There isn't much call for a full on resto of a 67 Dart 270 4-door :tard:

Thank you for the reply...

yeah I hear ya, The vents should have 4 stamped nuts :eek:uch: that hold it to the dash and 2 small screws that hold it to the blower housing.. not bad to remove.

I don't know how much you want to invest in a new sound system, but before you start tackling the chore of removing the ol' AM and cutting in a new stereo, you might take a look at SecretAudio at http://www.customautosounds.com/classic/secret.html. They offer a unit you can locate under the seat, in the glove box, etc. and it lets you leave the old unit in-place for the stock look. No prying eyes will see the new system (discourages theft.)

Jerry

-
Back