Rain Gutter

-

mopardartman

Reaction score
Hey, need help. What is the correct method to prepping and sealing the rain guter on my 69 Swinger? That's for any help you can provide.

I'd strip the old stuff out completely. Most of the time it's brittle enough to break out with a screw driver, but if it isn't then I'd recommend a brass wire brush on a drill to dig it out, if you use a metal wire brush make sure it's a thin wire one and don't run it at high RPM or you could gouge the metal. I've seen people use those thick twisted wire wheels on a grinder and gouge the metal! Once it's clean then spray a direct to metal sealer.

Then take masking tape and mask off the roof where you want the sealer to stop, so you get a clean line. I use 3M drip check and apply it on the car and then run my finger over it to make it smooth and even. I apply it twice because it tends to suck into the seam. Wait for it to completely dry before applying the second coat. Once dry remove the tape and it should look better then factory.
null_zps9f37a0e4.jpg

This is the area on the side of the roof that hold the chrome trim on right?

I put soapy-water into a spray bottle.... then I spray a little onto the sealer as I spread it with my finger. This helps it to spread evenly and not stick to my finger.

Ya, it's the side gutter. Thanks for the help. Don't want to screw that part up.... First thing you see when you get in:banghead:

-
Back