Raising spool mount

-

Ironracer

Gearhead
Reaction score
I have been Fighting with this for a week. Poly insert motor mounts and headers. Headers are hitting lower steering box bolt, passenger torsion bar and idler arm barely hits when turning. I dont have a welder. I want to cut a large washer, insert in front of spool mount on k, drill and fasten with set screws. Yes very redneck. But I read a post where a member here just tightened his down and it dropped back down after a week or so. So...... comments? Ideas? Where The Idler arm brushes the header there's a bend there and that thing does not want to Dent there it probably didn't help my buddy I had pressing those bushings kind of tweaked one of my motor mount brackets

We need more information, which body, which K member, which engine, which mount arms. I have run into a similar problem putting a big block in an a body but was able to resolve it with similar "red neck" engineering.

We need more information, which body, which K member, which engine, which mount arms. I have run into a similar problem putting a big block in an a body but was able to resolve it with similar "red neck" engineering.
Sorry. My bad I was tired. 74 duster, 340, factory spool k

Which headers? Stock idler arm?

A dimple being needed at the torsion bar is pretty common. The idler arm isn’t usually as much of an issue, but before you start hacking stuff up you should check the idler mount. And if you bent the engine mount, fix that first.

Moog arm. Patriots. Think we got it. Dimples.....argh. Thank You! Yes, hacking up stuff sucks

Yeah, it's never great but they're pretty much a necessity on these cars. I would check to make sure the idler mount and everything looks good, there is some movement there that can be adjusted. I haven't used the Patriots before so I'm not familiar with them specifically. But a small dimple at the torsion bar is pretty much par for the course. I needed to dimple my Doug's headers at my torsion bars for a little additional clearance. But with 1.12" torsion bars I expected that. I also have the spool mount K with poly inserts.

Yeah, it's never great but they're pretty much a necessity on these cars. I would check to make sure the idler mount and everything looks good, there is some movement there that can be adjusted. I haven't used the Patriots before so I'm not familiar with them specifically. But a small dimple at the torsion bar is pretty much par for the course. I needed to dimple my Doug's headers at my torsion bars for a little additional clearance. But with 1.12" torsion bars I expected that. I also have the spool mount K with poly inserts.
The k definitely took a hit on the bottom. And I would have liked to have gotten the poly mounts from Schumacher/;Mancini. Did the energy suspension ones. Not happy at all with them. The tranny mount seems great

I will see if I can lower the idler arm. It clears But I dont know what would happen if I turned and hit the gas.about a 16th clearance. I'm a bit too old for doughnuts though. Not sure how to adjust idler arm.. any info would be great. The headers appear well made. Sucks to beat them with a brass drift.

While helping a friend put Doug's headers on his 69 Torino, I ran into multiple interferences. Cut metal away from the shock towers, cut, welded and recontoured the tranny crossmember, redid the shifter linkage, dented tubes, and still had contact with thd C6 trans case. At that point, out of frustration, while bolted to the engine, I stuck a hydraulic jack handle through the collector into a header tube, and he and I easily bent the right side header away from the case by moving the jack handle.
It was magic.

If you want the spool mount a little higher, just weld a washer on the adjustable slot to the height you want, will not drop after that

While helping a friend put Doug's headers on his 69 Torino, I ran into multiple interferences. Cut metal away from the shock towers, cut, welded and recontoured the tranny crossmember, redid the shifter linkage, dented tubes, and still had contact with thd C6 trans case. At that point, out of frustration, while bolted to the engine, I stuck a hydraulic jack handle through the collector into a header tube, and he and I easily bent the right side header away from the case by moving the jack handle.
It was magic.
That's is an ingeniously vicious use of brute force! Love it!

-
Back