Rally rims are on my Duster!

-

Rocker'sDuster

MOPAR rookie!
Reaction score
Hey FABO, I wanted to share some pictures of my first real project for my Duster. I bought this set of 14 x 5.5 SBP rally rims off of Mopardude318 earlier this year. They were in pretty good shape to begin with and came with a set of decent center caps. I had the rears widened to 8 inches, then had the set powder coated (inside and out).

I Went with BFG’s 245x60x14 in the rear, and 225x60x14 up front. The 245x60’s were not easy to find!
11.jpg

I scrubbed the hell out of the inside of the caps by hand…30+ years of grime to remove. They are not perfect, but damn near close! I also carefully re-tapped all of the center cap screw holes, and removed some flash off of the lug nut holes so they wouldn’t scratch my rims once re-installed.
8.jpg

I went crazy with the steel wool; both on the front polished areas, and the backside!
9-1.jpg

Yeah I masked all 4 off like this…Yeah I know there are easier ways, but I like torturing myself.
10.jpg

I used Totally Auto’s "Textured Light Argent". The product worked fantastic for me, and they turned out killer!
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

They look badass in the sun!
3-1.jpg

When your limited on workspace (apartment living), you have to improvise. I gave the tires a final wash in the kid’s bathtub… my cat Lenny helped out too!
4-1.jpg

Finally back together and ready for the car.
5-1.jpg

A comparison of the New vs. Old rear tires.
6.jpg

The original undercoating was solid. I gave it a quick coat of Duplicolor rubberized coating. Really only wanted to get rid of any overspray from the paintjob the PO put on the car.
7.jpg

BAM!
nitro26.jpg

nitro27.jpg

I am veryy happy with how they came out! You can't tell that both the rims and caps are 30+ years old.

Thanks for reading FABO.:-D

Looks awesome! Mine could use a re-coating someday. How did you widen the rim?

Really good looking car! Rims and tires set it right. All that prep work paint and powdercoating is sweet as well. Nice rims that will last for a rallye long time.

WOW Man!!!! You really transformed those rims into beautiful artwork!!! Terrific job buddy!!!!! They look great on your car!

Thank you all for the great compliments! Being my first real project for my car, it was really cool to see the results come out better than I had hoped. Probably put too much time into them, but this was my stepping stone into tackling bigger project down the road.

72Plymouth, I had them widened at a place called DR Performance in Oregon. Word on the street is the owner Dennis also does rim widening for some of the "bigger comanies".

Rice, "Rallye long time" LOL

Jomoper, It took me longer to scrub the tub afterwards than it did to clean the tires lol!

Hey, looks like I'm not the only one that uses the bath tub to wash car parts.
Rocker you have the exact same rim size, and same size B.F Goodrich tires all the way round, like I have on my 68 Cuda. Gotta like it.

Just how much help was the cat??

now about them shackles...:) I noticed that you took the ugly bumper chunks off. You might look for some chrome bumper bolts to put back in the holes.

The car looks great.

Thank you again for the compliments guys!

Hey turbo, thanks man, I am sorry we didn't get a chance to talk more on Friday, I really wanted to see the car in more detail...Next time for sure dude!!!

Jeff; Our little cat "Lenny" helped just enough to: hop into the tub, drag the soaked (&soapy) SOS pad across the carpet, and leave wet paw prints everywhere. Yeah he helped a whooole lot! lol

Texas; the shackles will be taken off as soon as I can get a new set of stock springs on my baby. Bumpers came that way...I just need to get a set of bumper bolts. Also need to re-chrome the bumpers, but that is farther down the "to do list".

Again, thank you everyone!

Yes he will! Dennis can also have them powdercoated for you if you like. I wanted a specific color, so I had mine returned raw.

I have a NAPA right down the road actually...will check it out tomorrow! THANKS MAN!

-
Back