Rallye dash AC/heater control light bulb replacement how-to

-

67fish383S

Reaction score
This is a follow-up to this thread where I was seeking help on how to do this. After basically striking out on finding any info about this anywhere, except for how to identify the bulb (thanks @toolmanmike), I decided to just have at it, sacrificing a spare bulb assembly if need be. This may seem like a no-brainer to many, but I was literally stumped because the assembly did not seem to have been designed to come apart.

IMG_0765.jpg
IMG_0763.jpg

I finally figured out how to separate the press-fit bulb socket from the housing. I needed to remove the assembly from the AC controls (one screw) and put it in a vise. Then I used channel locks to carefully grab the very end of the socket. It looks like there isn't even a seam, but it has a very slight lip that you can just barely get ahold of. Then I slowly worked the socket loose and carefully backed it out of the housing. This look some time and patience.

IMG_0836.jpg
IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_0841.jpg

After replacing the bulb with an LED, I used the vise to carefully press-fit them back together, rotating it constantly in the vise.

IMG_0842.jpg

I was not happy with how the bulb and its diffuser fit when the socket was pressed all the way back into the housing. So I used the pliers to carefully back the socket out far enough to get full light from the bulb. After doing that, the LED light pattern was excellent and much brighter than the original incandescent bulb. And hopefully will not need replacing again in my lifetime.

IMG_0843.jpg
IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

I hope this saves someone else some time and head-scratching in the future. Cheers.

Last edited:
-
Back