rallye vs regular mirror placement.

-

chrisf

Reaction score
on my demon. swapping the original stock mirrors to sport mirrors. can i use the same mouting location or are they in a different spot?

driverside uses the same mounting location. the passenger side unless you already had one there will need some holes.....

My car only came with a single non remote cheepo style driver's mirror when I put the sport mirrors on the driver's side used the factory holes, for the passenget I just used a vernier caliper and transfered the hole measurements to the passenger door and drilled the holes. Both sit fine and work perfect.

Like Demon, said the drivers side is the same.
If you dont have one on the pass side, use the same measurements
as the driv side.

If you dont have a step drill, now would be the time to get one.

faucet pics 416.jpg

faucet pics 414.jpg

thanks guys. my car had the basic mirrors left and right sides.
i was just curious if i needed to redrill or not. this will be a easy bolton then.

Like Demon, said the drivers side is the same.
If you dont have one on the pass side, use the same measurements
as the driv side.

If you dont have a step drill, now would be the time to get one.

If I may ask, what is a "step drill"? Thanks!

If I may ask, what is a "step drill"? Thanks!

Step drill starts small and goes larger as you go. Each step is marked in size.
Example, 1/4",5/16",3/8" etc. Find out what size hole you want and tape the drill at that level. Drill till you get to your tape. Take your time,1 step at a time.

The hole comes out much cleaner than a standard drill.

Think I got this set off of e-bay.

faucet pics 820.jpg

Can anyone tell me the correct location for a 70 Duster drivers side remote sport mirror knob? I am not sure if someone drilled a new hole in the upper metal section of the door panel and installed it. I saw a pic of a car that had it located in the door panel down by the window hand crank. The remote cable doesn't seem long enough and binds on the window glass.

Thanks,

ijg4503
[email protected]
614-946-3333

Thanks Johnny Dart! That's what I thought you were talking about but didn't know exactly what they called that bit.

Can anyone tell me the correct location for a 70 Duster drivers side remote sport mirror knob? I am not sure if someone drilled a new hole in the upper metal section of the door panel and installed it. I saw a pic of a car that had it located in the door panel down by the window hand crank. The remote cable doesn't seem long enough and binds on the window glass.

Thanks,

ijg4503
[email protected]
614-946-3333

Here you go.
This is a 70 Dart, but after all an A-body is a A-body. 8)

faucet pics 819.jpg

question, is the metal top above the door panel on a 72 the color of the interior or the color of the car. ex. if interior is black and car is red, what color would the top of the door (where the remote mirror knob is)be.??

question, is the metal top above the door panel on a 72 the color of the interior or the color of the car. ex. if interior is black and car is red, what color would the top of the door (where the remote mirror knob is)be.??
It should be black. TX9 Black to be exact

Here you go.
This is a 70 Dart, but after all an A-body is a A-body. 8)

Great timing, I'm getting ready to drill my door and needed a pic. thanks! Do you have any tips on using step drills? I was planning on using mine, but have never used them before. Since my door is already painted, I figured I'd lay some tape over the panel first, drill a pilot hole then go with the step bit.

Great timing, I'm getting ready to drill my door and needed a pic. thanks! Do you have any tips on using step drills? I was planning on using mine, but have never used them before. Since my door is already painted, I figured I'd lay some tape over the panel first, drill a pilot hole then go with the step bit.

Which holes are you drilling,the holes for the mirror (exterior), or the hole for the mirror adjuster (interior).

Either way it is pretty much the same method.

For mirrors, measure where they go. Measure again,and again. You get the picture,you only get to drill once. Make a mark with a pencil etc. Then I use a center punch. Not the punch you use with a hammer, but a punch that automatically punches a mark when you press down on it (spring loaded). If you dont have one of these punches. get one,there cheap and really handy.

Now use a tiny drill bit,and make your pilot holes. After your pilot holes use "blue" masking tape over the area you are drilling. This will stop the paint from chipping when you go bigger.

Figure out on your step drill how far you need to go on it. Best way to do this is use a bit on the other side to measure off of. Go a size or two smaller. You can always go bigger if you need to.

Once you determined the size on the step bit, tape around the bit where you need to stop. This will help give you a better visual.

SLOWLY drill to the tape mark on your bit, one step at a time. After your done drilling to your mark, test fit your screws.They will tell you if your good or you need to go a touch bigger. Peel the tape off SLOWLY, so you dont take any paint off with it. Done !

PS: Use the blue tape,doesnt stick as much. Non Tacky.

If you are drilling the inside adjuster,same steps.

Off the subject ,, What's that tiny plug just below the wing window on both doors ????

Off the subject ,, What's that tiny plug just below the wing window on both doors ????

That covers a small hole, used for an Allen-head wrench when removing the entire window assembly.

That covers a small hole, used for an Allen-head wrench when removing the entire window assembly.

Interesting.... 1 of the very few spots they ever used allen head screws.

BTW, African or European ????

-
Back