Rallye Wheels

-

rdunnam

RDunnam
Reaction score
I just need to get these details in my mind once and for all. In '70 they came out with the 14" and 15" rallye available for A and E bodies, (maybe other bodies?) The a body wheels were 4 x 5 up to '73 ? Then changed to 4.5 x 5? I know this is not E body forum but did all those start 4.5 x 5 bolt pattern or were they the same wheel? Trying to get straight how many different factory rallye wheels did Chrysler ever offer?

All large bolt pattern rally wheels 14" x 6 width were all the same from 73 and newer. The trim rings and centers changed. All small bolt pattern rally wheels 70- 72 were 14 x 5 1/2 width. again the center change through all years.

I just need to get these details in my mind once and for all. In '70 they came out with the 14" and 15" rallye available for A and E bodies, (maybe other bodies?) The a body wheels were 4 x 5 up to '73 ? Then changed to 4.5 x 5? I know this is not E body forum but did all those start 4.5 x 5 bolt pattern or were they the same wheel? Trying to get straight how many different factory rallye wheels did Chrysler ever offer?

A Body rallye wheels were 14 x 5.5 wide small bolt from 70-72 each year with it's own cap. 73 up A bodies were 14 x 5.5 wide with the big bolt pattern. Not sure on B or E bodies. Pretty sure they started on the low end with 14 x 6.0 wide.

There were 15x5.5" LBP and 15x6" LBP rallye wheels. B and E bodies never had small wheel pattern that I know of but I may be wrong on that.
ETA Maybe they were 15x7?

There were also 'road rallye's' on C-bodies, too.

I just got 14x7 sbp rallyes with 4.25BS for an Early Barracuda. I can fit my hand between the Rim and the LeafSpring... should work well with a 245/60R14 on the back and a 195/70R14 on the Stock 14x5.5 Rallye on the Front.

B and E body cars could have 15x7.

In 1975/77 they changed to 15x6.5.

I just got 14x7 sbp rallyes with 4.25BS for an Early Barracuda. I can fit my hand between the Rim and the LeafSpring... should work well with a 245/60R14 on the back and a 195/70R14 on the Stock 14x5.5 Rallye on the Front.
I'm looking at wheels for my 67 Barracuda and this may be a dumb question but if my calcs are correct the 245/60/14 would have a "section" width of ~9.64". Using a 7 inch wide wheel (not including the bead lip), how far past the wheel do you think those 245 will extend past the wheel toward the springs and reduce your hand clearance?

I currently have 205/60/14's on 8in U.S. Indy's (3.375" BS) wheels on back of mine. Put these on just to be able to get it to the paint shop. The 205 is ~ 8.07" section width (according to my calcs: 205mm/25.4mm per inch) and they hang out over the edge of these rims about 5/8" aired up to ~ 32psi. This is what I'm wrestling with right now to try to make sure I get the right backset + tire extension past the wheel to keep from contacting the springs before I officially start shopping for wheels.

I'm looking at wheels for my 67 Barracuda and this may be a dumb question but if my calcs are correct the 245/60/14 would have a "section" width of ~9.64". Using a 7 inch wide wheel (not including the bead lip), how far past the wheel do you think those 245 will extend past the wheel toward the springs and reduce your hand clearance?

I currently have 205/60/14's on 8in U.S. Indy's (3.375" BS) wheels on back of mine. Put these on just to be able to get it to the paint shop. The 205 is ~ 8.07" section width (according to my calcs: 205mm/25.4mm per inch) and they hang out over the edge of these rims about 5/8" aired up to ~ 32psi. This is what I'm wrestling with right now to try to make sure I get the right backset + tire extension past the wheel to keep from contacting the springs before I officially start shopping for wheels.
I'll know for sure next weekend... for now I have Stock 5.5" Rallyes. The 245/60 on the Rear Bulges out 1 3/8" from the Rim Lip
and the 225/60 Bulges out 1 1/8' on the Front. I'm certainly hoping to Reduce the Bulge by going to the 7" Rim on the Rear (with same rear tire)
and a narrower 7 1/2" tire on the Front.

tires.jpg

I'll know for sure next weekend... for now I have Stock 5.5" Rallyes. The 245/60 on the Rear Bulges out 1 3/8" from the Rim Lip
and the 225/60 Bulges out 1 1/8' on the Front. I'm certainly hoping to Reduce the Bulge by going to the 7" Rim on the Rear (with same rear tire)
and a narrower 7 1/2" tire on the Front.

View attachment 1716056184
245's are about 25.5" tall I think. I was planning on trying to keep at least 1" clearance between tire and springs but that may be too conservative? The 205/60's on the rear of mine stick out past the lip on the outer part of the fender about 3/8". If the fender ever got below the tire edge it would definitely cut on the tire. I was thinking of going with a 4" backset as that should give about 1/4" gap between the tire and fender lip and 1 1/4" from tire to spring on that 205, if my measuring was correct of course.

I was thinking about moving up to 15" wheels and the 225/60 (~25.6" tall). Seems like there may be more tire options out there in the 15's vs 14's, at least when I was looking for the 14's.

You running a 4spd or auto and what rear end gears? Let us know how it works out. Be interesting. Good luck. Hope all works out well.

245's are about 25.5" tall I think. I was planning on trying to keep at least 1" clearance between tire and springs but that may be too conservative? The 205/60's on the rear of mine stick out past the lip on the outer part of the fender about 3/8". If the fender ever got below the tire edge it would definitely cut on the tire. I was thinking of going with a 4" backset as that should give about 1/4" gap between the tire and fender lip and 1 1/4" from tire to spring on that 205, if my measuring was correct of course.

I was thinking about moving up to 15" wheels and the 225/60 (~25.6" tall). Seems like there may be more tire options out there in the 15's vs 14's, at least when I was looking for the 14's.

You running a 4spd or auto and what rear end gears? Let us know how it works out. Be interesting. Good luck. Hope all works out well.
4-Speed (3.09 Gearset) Stock 2.93 Open Rear. Fresh Conversion from a 3-on tha-tree. Definately more options w/ 15's

4-Speed (3.09 Gearset) Stock 2.93 Open Rear. Fresh Conversion from a 3-on tha-tree. Definately more options w/ 15's
How are you liking the 3.09 gear set? I been thinking about installing it in mine. I have the 3.23 Sure Grip in my 67. Gonna run the stock ratio for a little while first. I have never driven this car, except for pulling it off the trailer and into my shop after I bought it.

Looking forward to your results this weekend.

I Love It! altho I have nothing to compare it with except the terrible old 3-Speed that came out of it...
Feels like it could Pull the front wheels if I didn't have a 273 2Bbbl in it.

So, the 245/60 has about an inch of Bulge off the Rim Lip... I can just pass my fingers between the Tire and the Spring now.

1.jpg

2.jpg

What size rallye's?

The 235 60 14 I had on 5.5" had too much bulge.
I went down to 215 70.
I should probably remeasure them though I suppose they could be 5".
Do we have a definitive list of available sizes?

5, 5.5, and 6?

I put those 235's on some Motor Wheel Spyder 14x6 and they look fine.

So, the 245/60 has about an inch of Bulge off the Rim Lip... I can just pass my fingers between the Tire and the Spring now.

View attachment 1716061996

View attachment 1716061999
So about 5/8" (depending on finger size)! Haha. The extra 1/2"

So about 5/8" clearance to spring (Depending on finger size)! Haha. The extra 1.5" of wheel width reduced bulge past the rim lip by 3/8".

So about 5/8" from the spring (Depending on finger size)! Haha. Also, 1.5" additional rim width good for 3/8" reduction in tire bulge above rim lip. Looks like you may have tucked about all you can get into the well there without interference from springs and outer fender well lip. Nice job!

Good info to have. Is the 4-1/2" back set standard for factory Rallyes or were their other offerings such as maybe 4" or 4-1/4" B.S. etc? I'm think leaning toward a rear wheel in something closer to a 4" back set to give me a little extra clearance from the springs.

Have you made a hot run/pass on them yet?

Didn't realize the system was keeping the beginnings of the other replies. I was scrolling up and down the thread for reference information and it looked like it was losing the beginnings of the other replies, at least I didn't see them when I scrolled back down.

Apologies to all.

see car - post #16
stock Rallyes 5.5 inch
245-60-14 on the back, 205-70-14s on the front - BFG has a sidewall height chart and I wanted to present the same size sidewall front and back.

On my other two Darts have 6 inch Rallyes on the front and 7 inch on the back (required the springs moved in 3/4 inch (kit). Use these same tires. I bought the wheels made so that the 7s have the extra inch on the inside so that the wheels and tires look matched from the side.

IMG_1150.JPG

see car - post #16
stock Rallyes 5.5 inch
245-60-14 on the back, 205-70-14s on the front - BFG has a sidewall height chart and I wanted to present the same size sidewall front and back.

On my other two Darts have 6 inch Rallyes on the front and 7 inch on the back (required the springs moved in 3/4 inch (kit). Use these same tires. I bought the wheels made so that the 7s have the extra inch on the inside so that the wheels and tires look matched from the side.

View attachment 1716062520
Those look very nice. I'm staying 14's SBP and going Ralleys or a set of 15's SBP Centerlines. Haven't made my decision yet. Trying to picture in my mind how the Ralleys would look with the MM1 Turbine Bronze Mettalic paint. Think the Centerlines would look nice on the MM1 regardless. Cost will have a lot to do with final choice.

-
Back