Ram 2500 Diesel Question

-

scuba0331

Reaction score
I am considereing going to look at a 2009 Ram 2500 Diesel it has 40,000 miles and the dealer is asking $34K. Which is less then average retail per the NADA and KBB websites. Here's the link http://www.fiatstrongsville.com/inv/Detail.aspx?did=43135&vid=3D7KS28L09G517505

Does anybody have one of these? How do you like it? What kind of mileage can I expect with .373 gears? What are the draw back of a diesel?

I really don't need a big truck like this but I sure would like to have it! I'm Considering buying a travel trailer/toyhauler that has a GVWR of 7,700 lbs. I see the new Ram 1500 has a total towing capcity of about 9900 llbs. So I don't know if 7,700 would really be difficult for the 1500.

Just trying to get some Pro's and Cons between a gas and a diesel.

Thanks!

I have a 2008 I bought new. It has the 6.7 Cummins and I ordered it with a manual 6 speed transmission. I also have a 22' travel trailer I tow. And to give you a better perspective I had a 2004 1/2 ton HEMI powered RAM, and towed this same travel trailer I do with my diesel. First let me say the HEMI loves gas when it tows! I averaged between 6 and 9 mpg down hill with a stiff wind to my back.. Had no issue to pull the trailer just keeping the gas tank full if I towed further than 150 miles, Had to stop and fill up.. Now for the diesel ......What a difference in the torque. Mine has the .373 gears (it is 4wd) it came stock with them. If you look to the left at my picture you'll see I towed my Duster back from Missouri on the Diesel and it averaged between 15 & 17 mpg, all the way back to Ohio.. Sorry got off on a tangent.... Back to pulling my camper I have to make sure I pay attention to the speedometer when I'm towing it's such a horse, it seems the more you load down the diesel the harder and faster it wants to go. When I check the mileage on straight open roads I can average around 12 to 14,almost 15 mpg and lean that more towards the high side. Curvy roads and hills average around 10 to 13mpg. If you want the loud exhaust and the HEMI badge do the 1/2 ton. If you want brute strength, hard core torque to move just about anything go to the diesel..

I don't have a new one, Mine is a 1995 4x4 5.9 12 valve Cummins diesel with 3.54 gears

I tell everyone this. If you don't need it, you shouldn't buy it.

If you plan on towing a trailer a lot then the diesel is the thing to buy.

The biggest problem is the cost to own and maintain.

Mine holds 12 quarts of oil, oil filter is usually $10 so changing the oil cost a lot more than a gas engine. Fuel filter is important to keep changed.

Diesel fuel right now in my area varies from $2.97 at Krogers (guess loss leader at new station) to $3.49 and a BP. On my trip to Florida in Dec. it run $3.15 to $3.35

Yeah, I got close to 20 mpg, pulling a 24' Cuddy Cabin Baja last summer it was about 15 mpg running 74 mph, pulling my 24' car hauler it is down to 10-12 mpg, depending on how hard i'm running. I use to set the cruise at close to 80 mph and it runs all day long like that, so 10 mpg isn't bad. If I stay at 65 it is over 12 mpg

My truck sits in the garage most of the time. It cost me $75 - $90 a week if I drive it to work. In the winter it only gets 14 - 16 mpg since it never gets warm enough, Diesels like HEAT.

The old van with 188,000 miles gets about the same mileage 17 -19 mpg and fuel is cheaper.

I hope to get a new truck sometime in the next year or too. I will get a gas the next time. Don't pull my trailer as much as I use to. For the few times a year I pull it I'll pay for the fuel and put up with the transmission hunting on overpasses and hills.

another thing is the smell. When you get fuel you have to wear gloves or get diesel fuel on your hands and it does not was off easily. The exhaust smells. I have left mine running and have people complain.

The cost of fuel, extra for maintenance, extra cost to buy will buy a lot of gasoline.

I LOVE MY DIESEL and will miss it but don't think it is worth it unless you really have a need for it.

View attachment 95Dodge.jpg

My 2 Cents

I traded my 05 diesel last year for a 2010 power wagon. The only thing I miss was the way it towed. But, the power wagon does great with the same load. Sure it uses more fuel when loaded. but for the cost of running the diesel, it is still cheaper. Plus I got a better truck with all the off road equipment that comes in the power wagon.

if you plan on towing a fair bit, buy the diesel if you're not going to be towing much if at all it won't be worth while having a diesel. overall the truck looks in nice shape and has the nicer looking wheels on it and silver is always an easy colour to maintain, price seems reasonable, i've seen cheaper but the low km's (for a diesel) are a plus. but like everyone else has said if you need it go for it if not its probably a better idea to stay gas

Mines older too a 99 24 valve and I love it !!! Granted they do cost more for the maintenance I have a edge juice on mine Straight piped with a stack And a better injection pump. A airdog 150 fuel system Gets 21 mpg With 33 inch tires and a 3:54 gear At 155,000 Its starting to show sigs of needing a tranny This is gonna cost me about 2000.00 bucks with me doing the labor So there not cheap But if gonna tow I wouldnt have a gas motor anymore

Wow! Thanks for the information. I have some thinking to do for sure.

forgot to mention a few years ago in New york I paid $5.15 a gallon for diesel

They are the only way to go IF YOU HAVE A NEED FOR IT, if you just want a diesel to say, "I got a diesel" buy gas you will be happier and more $$$$$ in your pocket for something else

forgot to mention a few years ago in New york I paid $5.15 a gallon for diesel

They are the only way to go IF YOU HAVE A NEED FOR IT, if you just want a diesel to say, "I got a diesel" buy gas you will be happier and more $$$$$ in your pocket for something else

Good point! I can buy a lot of gas for the $7,000 diesel option!

Thanks everyone.

-
Back