Ram air air cleaner breather

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
Have a 67 dart with 360 and modified air cleaner to make it cowl induction ram air, had the air breather hose from valve cover plumbed in in front of the air filter. At 70 mph and 3,000 rpm it pushes oil thru the valve cover gaskets, I'm not happy. Swapped out to K@N valve cover breather, now over 60 mph oil smell comes thru into car, now Wife ain't happy! Would hooking up breather to the inside of air filter instead of outside of air filter limit air flow pushing oil? Motor has 50 psi of oil pressure at 3000 rpm and pcv valve. no issues below 60 mph.

Attachments

• Shawn's_Dart_3[1].jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 332
Sounds to me like a blow-by pr possibly pvc issue. Check leak-down?

Did cyl pressure test about 2 years, 6,ooo miles ago and was 120 wthin 10 across the cyl with very big overlap on cam, didn't do leak down. smaller cam now, when return from work overseas will try leak down test. still no issue at high rpm in lower gear at lower speeds, that was why Iwondered if cowl induction pushing air thru breather hose over pressurizing valve cover gasket capabilities

Was also thinking maybe adding a breather pipe to one of the snorkels facing downstream so as the air is going by it it will "suck" the air from the valve cover breather like a NACA scoop, not push as it is now.

I have a ram air box on my 67 dart with a 360 in it also.It is getting a lot of air from a 6 pack hood scoop.Do not have breather hose in it. Breather on one valve cover pvc in the other one.You would probobly not need it to go to breather.Try it with breather not hooked to valve cover and see if that works.Jim

Sounds like a PVC /breather issue. Ran the same K&N breather you have,had the same problem. The best breather I have found: Stock Chrysler. Order one,for a 78 Cordoba 360/400.Do you actually run a PCV valve? These might help your situation. It's cheap,(10-15 bucks) and may solve the problem. Ran into exactly the same situation on two Chevies.

running PCV to carb, 78 Cordoba style breather cap will not fit my 273 valve cover. may try to modify Cordoba style to fit on stock style and give it a try, Thanks for the input Abodybomber.........

With help from Abodybomer and 48 plythouth, ran stock breather with hose not connected to ram air cleaner, took car too Petit Jean swap meet running hard there and back on RT 7, and no more oil issues! Best sight for odd ball problem cures. :cheers:

just ran the stock style air breather can with hose attached, the other end of hose open behind carb, no oil dripping, and no oil fumes. may end up with putting small filter on the open end.

With help from Abodybomer and 48 plythouth, ran stock breather with hose not connected to ram air cleaner, took car too Petit Jean swap meet running hard there and back on RT 7, and no more oil issues! Best sight for odd ball problem cures. :cheers:

Glad you go it fixed....

-
Back