Ram Air Cleaner Base

-

Criscobath

Reaction score
I'm running a Mercury Cougar hood scoop on my 73 Swinger and I'm looking to seal the air cleaner base to the hood to make it functional.

I'm using a 11" K&N X-Stream element and lid. I'm batting around the idea of using a non-stick 12" cake pan to make a new air cleaner base. My question for those who know more than me about Ram Air, will the 1" difference between the "cake pan" air cleaner base and the filter be enough to allow sufficient air (cfm) at full throttle? I'm wondering if I would be better off with a 14" cake pan.

A cake pan, ram air and a Dodge Dart...I know...there's a joke in there somewhere. :D

Here is mine. 17 X 3" cake pan around a 14" air cleaner. The seal is from corvette cowl induction seal. I had to trim it down to fit it around the cake pan. I used and old bike inner tube to reconnect the ends of the seal after I shortened it.

Attachments

• IMG_2612.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 340
Love that 74 Swinger. Looks like we have twins of sorts.

I like your ram air setup. I also like your fuel injection setup. I've been debating fuel injection for a while and keep waiting to see how much easier and cheaper it can get. I'm leaning towards the Edelbrock setup with the external sump/pump that's fed by the mechanical fuel pump.

Thanks for the advice on the pie pan. Amazon here I come.

bozvaliant, that's real nice work. People just will not believe how much a sealed cold air induction will improve an engine's performance unless they experience it.

I liked this one from another post...it has a certain OEM look to it.

Paul

attachment.php

That does look good.

Thanks guys. I have to credit where credit is due. Demon408 and Abodybomber are the guys that gave me the idea for the fresh air setup. I just combined their ideas. I can really see the difference in air temp with the FAST EFI onboard computer screen. It really made a huge difference.

-
Back