Ram Fire

-

Walker434

Reaction score
So I was driving to work on Friday and my transfer case exploded at 70 mph. I'm guessing the hot transmission fluid caught fire when it hit the exhaust?? Anyway parts hit the BMW behind me and she said the truck bed was engulfed in flames. By the time I got to the shoulder the fire was small so I had just a second to grab the important things out before it really got going.

Lesson learned, If I'd had a fire extinguisher I think I could have put it out. Oh well, I'm just glad no one was hurt and I have full coverage insurance.

I will miss this truck though, it was a powerwagon. I have attached a picture before, during and after the fire.

Attachments

• Truck Fire 1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 296
  • Truck Fire.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 295
  • Truck Fire 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 290
CRAP!! That's pretty crazy...looks like a manufacturing defect..?? Looks like a pretty new RAM.

Damn!!! Glad you and everyone involved are safe. Hopefully you make out well enough with the insurance that you can get right back into a new one.

That looks about like a 2010. I have a 2010 and it really gets buzzing on the interstate with the 4.56 ring and pinions. I am guessing that in the shape its in you'll never find out what happened. What's left of the transfer case is probably pooled on the ground

Yes it was a 2010 and had 4.56 gears. I may try to buy it back from the insurance company so I could pull the Dana rearend for the dart one day

I don't think its a Dana. They are built by AAM, American Axle & manufacturing

Dang, oh well. 4.56 would probably be a little steep for the dart anyway. I like my 3.91s

Damn!! Glad you're not hurt!
Good luck on the insurance claim and getting a replacement. Any ideas yet on what the replacement might/will be?

That's a bummer. The new Rams are nice, but I'm not thrilled about the transmission and shifting with a knob. I'm going to run my 2010 PW for as long as I can

The replacement may be another power wagon. I loved the truck and have been test driving a few others. So far can't find another that competes with the pw. They really hold there value and I was wanting to find one with a few less miles. They are getting hard to find!

If you uncover what may have caused the transfer case to fail, give me a heads up on what to watch for. I do know what those trucks are like at 70mph with the 4.56 axles. Things are spinning pretty fast.

-
Back