Ramcharger 360

-

SawDoctor

Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m posting in the wrong forum but I get the sense that there may be a better understanding of engine knowledge on this board…. so here I am looking for some help on this build.

I’m looking to replace the anemic 318tbi in a 1988 Ramcharger. I have a 360 that has been bored .030 over on the engine stand that I pulled out of 1978 Ramcharger recently. It will need another rebore/rebuild and I’m ditching tbi and going with a carburetor.

Atm I’m work on swapping in 4.56:1 axles and going to be running 33” tires. A 46rh has been rebuilt and waiting to go in with the 360. No torque converter for it yet.

What I’m looking for is a responsive and reliable engine that is quick off the line and doesn’t need to stay long in the passing lane. It’s almost dangerous atm passing someone with the 318tbi.

The 360 heads need a lot of work. (4 dropped valves) but I do have a set of magnum heads that are in good shape. (No cracks)

My question is what pistons should I run with the magnum heads and what cam? The goal being to achieve reliability, low end torque and mid range power.

I need to run pump gas. 91 octane is all that’s available around me.

I’d like to maybe get a few things on the Black Friday sales and is why I’m requesting your input and on parts that are going to work together on this engine.

Thanks in advance

Your current 318 must be really tired. My 90 ramcharger with a 318 does pretty good with 35's but it's no speed demon.
I wonder what shape the heads are on your current 318 should be 302s those heads on a 360 would be a good truck engine.
Your mag heads should work good as well with any flat top Pistons

I had a 85 ramcharger with a 360 4 bbl and it ran fantastic. I had a 90 Ramcharger 318 on 33’s and it was a complete dog and got worse gas mileage. I think the 318’s are great reliable engines and can be made to run better, but if you want to take it to another level, build a 360 stroker.

You’ve already helped yourself out tremendously by electing to install 4.56 gears and the 46RH. But, on to answering your questions on a 360 build. I like the thought of refreshed Magnum heads on a 360 with this build. But, you mentioned Black Friday sales… if you do the 40% off sale at speed master and get a set of bare aluminum heads for your engine shop to put together with the parts of their choice, you’d have a significant advantage over either iron head. Most piston choices outside of stock replacement with magnum heads are going to put you in the 9.7:1 or higher area if you build for quench with the magnum heads, while the speed masters would get you 9.4:1, which would be compatible with 87 octane fuel with judicious tuning. I would run these pistons and get the block cut for zero deck.
DODGE KB KB232KTM.040 Keith Black KB Performance Hyper Piston and Ring Kits | Summit Racing
Those figures are based on using a Mr gasket .040 thick MLS head gasket with a 4.08 inch bore. If you use magnum heads, this cam would work well (along with AMC type lifters and oil through pushrods for the magnum rocker train, of course) for a .480/.496 lift with the 1.6:1 magnum rocker ratio.
Howards Cams 710031-12 Howards Cams Street Force 2 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit Racing
If you went with the speed masters, then this cam would be my go to. You could even use this cam with the magnum heads, being you’ll have to get the Hughes type retainers and springs to make either of the cam choices to work with the magnum heads. You get .511/.526 lift with the magnum rocker ratios. It would be a real stump puller.
https://www.competitionproducts.com/mobile/Howards-Cams-Hydraulic-Flat-Tappet-Camshaft-Chrysler-SB-273-360_318-208_214-050-479_494-110-LS/productinfo/HRC711381-10/#.Y3Ej6yVOmEc
If you’re wanting to get more involved in your own build and learn something on the way, here’s the factory magnum porting templates. These are fairly conservative and don’t take the heads out to anywhere near maximum potential, but would work really well for you’re intended purpose, especially with the second cam choice and higher lift.
https://www.bigblockmopar.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MoparPortingTemplates-RB_LA_Magnum.pdf

-
Back