Ramcharger question

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On a 4wd Ramcharger, the upper ball joints have an adjustor nut on the inside of the axle. Do they get preloaded to the ball joint, or are they for the alignment? The guy at the parts counter told me that they needed to be preloaded and thats why they include the adjustor nut. I don't recall ever doing that before.

if I understand you, and if I recollect correctly, they have nothing to do with alignment. They are a preload on the ball joint only. I suppose they can be used to take up wear in the ball joint, further on down the road. You didn't mention the year, is this a full-time 4wd?

On a 4wd Ramcharger, the upper ball joints have an adjustor nut on the inside of the axle. Do they get preloaded to the ball joint, or are they for the alignment? The guy at the parts counter told me that they needed to be preloaded and thats why they include the adjustor nut. I don't recall ever doing that before.
yes, knuckle assembly is installed, lower ball joint torqued to recommendation, then upper spanner nut run in and torque to ''spec'' of manf. then upper stud nut torqued. go on the light side, they get damn tight. to change camber you need the offset sleeves [spanner nuts] that you must buy separate. unless some come with them.

Oh, sorry I forgot. It's an 87 Ramcharger. I don't ever remember preloading them is why I ask.
Thanks!

-
Back