ran the Duster today.....

-
Dude, once again I think you are the solution to one of my problems!! I am learning the hard way that you CANNOT put 3.55 gears and SureGrip in a 2.45 case. It looks like to me the pinion is raised in the case so that large diameter pinion will fit, and so it is too high to pattern well with the lower gearset. So the tooth pattern is weird and the end result is it's noisy.
You are running the same size tire Dany and I are running, with the same trans set up.
Any guess how fast its turning thru the traps in 2nd? I saw you don't have a tach. I dont know the ratio for 2nd , but I'll bet if i had it there is a mathematical way to find out.
I mean its like you have a Powerglide on the track and 3rd gear to drive home!! Genius!!
I assume it's an open diff, any traction problems? I'm thinking I may just throw the original 2.45's back in it and try it..

A quick Google says "1.54 2nd gear ratio X 2.45 in the diff and 26" tires at 95.41 MPH = 4773 RPM

Dude, once again I think you are the solution to one of my problems!! I am learning the hard way that you CANNOT put 3.55 gears and SureGrip in a 2.45 case. It looks like to me the pinion is raised in the case so that large diameter pinion will fit, and so it is too high to pattern well with the lower gearset. So the tooth pattern is weird and the end result is it's noisy.
You are running the same size tire Dany and I are running, with the same trans set up.
Any guess how fast its turning thru the traps in 2nd? I saw you don't have a tach. I dont know the ratio for 2nd , but I'll bet if i had it there is a mathematical way to find out.
I mean its like you have a Powerglide on the track and 3rd gear to drive home!! Genius!!
I assume it's an open diff, any traction problems? I'm thinking I may just throw the original 2.45's back in it and try it..
  • Ok, I'll start with I believe (because I haven't done it, but many have) that you CAN put 3.55's in but you cannot do just the gears, you need the carrier also. However, your housing/axles will work.
  • Yes, you are correct. LOL. It's like racing a powerglide with OD :D However, when I replaced the 600 for the 770 and my speed went to 97 mph, I do shift to 3rd, but it's about 80 ft before the finish line. still don't know my RPM's. LOL
  • Yes, you are correct again. It's a open rear end. Track is prepped well and I do not spin. Best 60 ft is 2.04 so far.
  • Since this thread, I swapped the Action Plus for the Eddy RPM and went from a 14.14 to 14.11 LOL. I figured them results...
  • I will be doing some more "small changes" to the car and I'll be going into the 13's. I just have very little time to do anything to it. Work is busy, and been working on the wife's ramcharger a lot lately, among other projects.

• Ok, I'll start with I believe (because I haven't done it, but many have) that you CAN put 3.55's in but you cannot do just the gears, you need the carrier also. However, your housing/axles will work.
  • Yes, you are correct. LOL. It's like racing a powerglide with OD :D However, when I replaced the 600 for the 770 and my speed went to 97 mph, I do shift to 3rd, but it's about 80 ft before the finish line. still don't know my RPM's. LOL
  • Yes, you are correct again. It's a open rear end. Track is prepped well and I do not spin. Best 60 ft is 2.04 so far.
  • Since this thread, I swapped the Action Plus for the Eddy RPM and went from a 14.14 to 14.11 LOL. I figured them results...
  • I will be doing some more "small changes" to the car and I'll be going into the 13's. I just have very little time to do anything to it. Work is busy, and been working on the wife's ramcharger a lot lately, among other projects.
Yea, I replaced the carrier with a new mopar unit and a used set of gears off eBay. When they patterned weird I wrote it off as worn out gears. Then I replaced them with a new set, same weird pattern and noise. Drive side patterns very narrow and coast side patterns like an arrowhead.
Tried pinion with no shim, all the way out until it contacted the carrier and it never patterned any different.

-
Back